Skip to content
Guitar problem,pins...

Notifications
Clear all

Guitar problem,pins not holding and fret buzz.

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have older Takamine EGS-340SC that I bought about five years ago.The pins don't want to hold the strings in place and are always popping out.I have to hold the strings in place until it catches. Once it catches,the strings hold pretty good. I don't want to keep doing this all time. Also I have a fret buzz between the 11th to the 15th fret. Are these problems fixable without paying a arm and a leg to the local luthier?
I have used all kinds of pins. Right now I got brass pins. Is there an easy fix for these problems?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

you may not understand how bridge pins actually hold the strings. check out this thread.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37015&p=340041&hilit=ball+ends#p340041

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for 26 years and never had a problem like this. I've had a lot of different guitars. I bought this guitar used and has always done that. None of my other guitars do that,or have never done that.The fret buzz is probably is caused by low string action or it needs a neck adjustment. The strings just don't want to hold,and I can't fiqure it out.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

have to go by your description, which sounds exactly like a noob changing acoustic strings. sorry for the confusion. so you are saying you do understand how bridge pins work? that they do not have to be tight until the ball ends press against theirs sides? assuming that is true -- and the tuners are not slipping and contributing, then it might be that the bridge plate is worn and needs to be repaired or replaced. the bridge plate is the piece of wood on the inside of the guitar, against which the ball ends press. a new bridge plate will have nice clean holes not much bigger than the diameter of the bridge pin (where they meet). a worn bridge plate will have rough, out-of-round and/or splintered holes that allow the ball ends to pull up through the top wood and into the bottom of the bridge. is that what's happening with your guitar? then it needs repair.

this might help:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Acoustic_guitar_bridges/Plate_Mate.html

look at the pictures tab for the Plate Mate. the bridge plate is the lighter colored, trapezoidal piece between the braces. the Plate Mate is supposed to fix a worn bridge plate ... but note the copy says "temporary fix."

looks easy to install.

not sure if the brass pins contributed to the wear problem, but it's unlikely they improved the tone. might want to switch over to bone or ebony if you do this repair. the brass pins might damage the Plate Mate.

small print: of course, none of this addresses the buzzing.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

That pretty well explains it. I think maybe the previous owner had used medium gauge strings and wore the bridge out. Hopefully it won't cost a arm and leg to get it repaired.If I'm going to get it fixed I'd like for it to be permament,that way it I don't have to mess with it again.As for the buzzing,it seems it might need adjusted a bit.

ReplyQuote