Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Resurrection

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lozza)
Topic starter  

I have dug out an old acoustic guitar, how old i dont know as it has no model or make

i really like the look of it and the tone, however it is unplayable - fresh strings on it and the tuning is horribly out.

it wont let me upload the pictures because theyre too big, but theyre all in this album

http://s254.beta.photobucket.com/user/mayo1992/library/guitar?#/user/mayo1992/library/?&_suid=1351253338122018517383892231204

the wooden bridge piece is completeley unnattached - it only stays stuck to the body because of the string pressure on it - is this normal?

any way i really would like to get this guitar playable - where can i start??

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thats a cool little bugger!!

Most old guitars that have a bridge like that, have it free floting like that. Its held inplace by the strings. the intonation is set by moving it.

As far as where to start? Well you have fresh strings so thats a start... check and adjust the intonation on it. Loots of info on the web about that so I wont go into it here.. That style was most common on Archtop acoustics, so that would be a place to look. After that, you need to start checking the neck, string hight etc.. But getting the bridge placement in the ballpark would be my first step.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

the top is beautiful, whatever it is..

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote