Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Set-Up Help Please.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cool-beans-777)
Topic starter  

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some good tips on how i could fix my guitar. Yesterday I drop tuned my guitar to Drop C (CGCFAD); I used Ernie Ball Power Slinkies (11-14-18P-28-38-48). I have a Jackson DK2 Dinky, and I don't exactly know how to do it. I have fixed my guitar a couple of times by adjusting the truss rod and adjusting the action. I know how to set the intonation but i can't get rid of fret buzz. The farther I go up the neck, the more the buzz increases, the buzzing starts at around the 12th or 15th fret depending on the string. I want to get this fixed as soon as possible, because this summer my family and I are going to Rome for vacation, and I can only play guitar in the summer because I'm at boarding school so i want to play guitar as much as possible. My house has absolutely no tools whatsoever, it took me about an hour to find a screwdriver. I want to know if I should just get it to a tech, because I don't really have a problem with paying for a set-up, but i don't want to have to wait to get it fixed.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

if you have no tools and limited experience, you should probably go to a tech for a set-up. (s)he may also recommend a more appropriate gauge for your chosen tuning (sounds a bit light for such a drop in tuning. feel floppy?). also, if your dinky has a floating trem, that will complicate significantly the setup requirements for any gauge/tension/tuning change -- it could also be a reason for your buzzing, unless you've compensated the trem spring tension properly. a hardtail is a much easier situation. all the more reason to go to a pro for expedient help.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

+1 The lack of tools is a red flag not to touch it! Yes, don't those drop C guys use strings better suited for holding up telephone poles and bridges? :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@cool-beans-777)
Topic starter  

Thank You for the help, i actually ended up finding some tools, actually the exact ones i needed and its fixed now. Once the weather changes, i will surely take it to a tech for convenience and so i don't have to stress if I'm doing something wrong.

ReplyQuote