Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Volume Fading

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@treblenez)
Topic starter  

Alright I have here an Ibanez RG3EX1, and I am having volume issues with it.

I have narrowed it down to the guitar, I use this amp on a daily basis with my own guitar (I am being asked to repair this one) and the amp and cable are the same ones I use; they play just fine. There is no boxes between the amp and guitar, its a simple setup for testing purposes.

I made an earlier post about this same guitar attempting to figure out what the pickups are, and I have. They are emg designed passive pickups that just have the ibanez name slapped on em. They have covers that are not removable so if the pickups are shot a repair is not really possible, new pups are in order.

All of that being said, let me describe the problem in a little more detail. I was told the Bridge pup was the only one acting up. While playing, the volume will randomly start to fade, slowly, until it is very weak and has a very...trebley sound? Then after some more play time (anywhere from a minute to 10 minutes) the sound starts to come back. So just to cover the bases I switched to the neck pup and all was well at first. great tone, loved the sound. Then outta no where it did the exact same thing. Now the bridge pup is getting worse and seems to be recovering less and less, while the neck pup is still mostly strong.

I don't think its the pups themselves because last I knew when a pup went, it went. There was no fading and play, it was either working or it wasn't. If someone with much more experience could please shed some light I would greatly appreciate it!

(@zincberg)
Eminent Member

It's not the pickups... I can say that almost definitely. If it were, as you said.. Once they go, they are gone... And maybe be doing this weird fade... But not both.
So with the pickups being ruled out ..(to rule them out completely.. Do a hard wire straight from the pickup to the output jack.. After checking the output jack of course)... I am putting my money on it being a contact issue in either the switch, or the volume pot. Again, just bypass the pieces till you find the problem.
Unsolder the bridge pickup... Go straight to the output. If the problem is gone.. Then go pickup, switch output... Same thing.. Problem gone, add in the volume pot.
Give it a good clean with contact cleaner first... See if that helps.

ReplyQuote