Notifications
Clear all

Guitar won't stay in tune!

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarnick)
Topic starter  

Hello! I have an Epiphone ES 335. I recently had it set up by a professional and it's been playing beautifully. But all of a sudden I can't keep the thing in tune. I am constantly having to tune up. When I say constantly, I mean every few minutes of playing I have to re-tune because I am clearly out. I'm not playing particularly hard or anything. Normal playing, just some chords and some single note lines. Again, nothing usual or heavy. I'm playing 11 gauge strings. I've never really experienced this with any well made guitar I've ever had. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks!!

Nick

(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Google the type of tuners you have. There is usually a screw adjustment to tighten the tension on them. Often it's at the very tip of the knob. Do it a little at a time.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Make sure whoever restrung the guitar made sure to put enough wraps around the tuning posts . Each string should have a minimum of three complete revolutions around the post . Unwound strings should probably have a couple more to be safe .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Most modern Epi's have pretty stable tuners. Unless one is broke, I doupt its that. is it one or two strings, or all? How old are the strings? Old strings will not be as stable.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@guitarnick)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input guys!

The tuners don't have any adjustment screws on them. They are the standard tuners.
Each string is wrapped around the post at least twice, some are actually more. But it's stayed in tune just fine until recently, meaning this same set of strings have stayed in tune until recently. This problem is new.
The strings are a little played out an could use a changing. But I've never had a set of strings do this when they get old.
Some one did suggest that the strings may not be moving in the nut well enough and suggested I put some Chap Stick in grooves of the nut to lube it.

ReplyQuote
(@jfpenkala)

Thanks for the input guys!

The tuners don't have any adjustment screws on them. They are the standard tuners.
Each string is wrapped around the post at least twice, some are actually more. But it's stayed in tune just fine until recently, meaning this same set of strings have stayed in tune until recently. This problem is new.
The strings are a little played out an could use a changing. But I've never had a set of strings do this when they get old.
Some one did suggest that the strings may not be moving in the nut well enough and suggested I put some Chap Stick in grooves of the nut to lube it.

Loosen the strings and move the strings out of the nut slot. Look for cracks in the slots.

ReplyQuote
(@frankieabbott)

Are the open strings going out of tune? Or is the intonation happening when you play notes/chords on the first 5 frets.....or frets 6 to 12.....or the frets above fret 12?
There are different remedies for poor intonation at different areas of the fretboard. Have you tried tempered tuning?....tuning fretted notes to 12th fret harmonics.

ReplyQuote
(@darkdrakon)

if the strings are new you may need to stretch them...

ReplyQuote
(@supremesound)
Eminent Member

How long ago did you have the set-up? Was it set up with the 11's? Have you gone through a temperature change or humidity change? Did any strings break or get replaced possibly with a different gauge then from what it was set up with? Are you doing an alternate tuning from the tuning it was set up with? May be ready for another set-up.

ReplyQuote