Clear all

hard tailing a floyd rose

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing a lot more on my ESP recently, which I love, but I really don't like the floyd rose, so i'd wondered about hard tailing it.

I ordered a Tremel-No http://www.tremol-no.com/ which arrived really quickly, but I decided to looked a bit complex to install (it does say if you can change a set of string you should be able to do this - hmm!), so I've contacted the company to get this sent back.

Instead I've put a block of wood in the back panel to stop any movement.

But what i really want to be able to do is play it, without the string locking nuts, then I don't need a set of allan keys to go into drop d - should this be possible? or do I need a different nut?

Thanks

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

It "could" be possible, but usually doesn't work out, or sound right. Sometimes, with the right nut, you can pull it off. That's figurative talk, and I must translate myself. :shock: That means: if the nut allows and only you can tell - there are differences or types. Hopefully yours will let you, it is beyond our control. And I didn't mean to pull the nut off, not yet, only if you have to.

I am experiencing this right now playing my 25 year old double fat MIJ Strat (as little as I have to!!!) without the micro tuners, and without the blocks in the nut, and there's a problem. The nut doesn't sound right or ring true on the open notes.

In the event of ongoing annoyances, difficulty, inconvenience, nuisance and questions... whew!!!, take a firm hand with it, and write to Todd Rockfield, the inventor of the drop top bridge = hardtail replacement for normal trems, (he used to be an inventor and exclusive seller with Customshopparts) prolly before Fender sued or something, and now he has sourced mass produced semi-custom pickups. Ask about and maybe try a top loading Tele bridge, you might have to get unique/creative.

In any case, if you can live with your bridge, there's still the nut, and you can get an acoustic (and Gibson electric) style nut made because the typical thin, slide-through-a-slot or brass nut won't work as a replacement in the locking nut situation. :cry: It's a tough go.

Edit, I'm back, trying to think of all issues, and headstock angle is one of them. Your ESP looks okay, but some Charvel, Jacksons & others wouldn't let you have a regular nut due to a strange, extremely bent, or sabre-like, aggressive styling. :roll:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Bluejay, well the hardtailing with a block of wood seems fine, and I've been playing it without the locking screws on the nut, and it sounds ok to me (although I've got my lesson tonight so I'l have to see what the pro's opiniion is - ha ha).

The only difference I have noticed is that with distortion, it sounds more distorted if that makes sense... Also it is keeping perfectly in tune :-)

ReplyQuote