Skip to content
Has anyone ever put...

Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone ever put Gibson Pickups in their Fender?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I currently have a Fender Toronado (MIM) and A Gibson Faded V. My Gibby just burns and was thinking of putting the same pickups the V has in the Toronado, just for kicks. Anybody ever tried Something similar to this that could pass on experience. Much Appreciated. Even if you have not tried this experiment, can you think of reasons why it can't be done or would not work. I have measured the holes and sizes of the pickups and they match up. The Fender has three screws holding it down and the Gibby has two. I'm thinking that could be fixed. I am not worrying about the modificaton of the Toro, I have already modified it some and doubt I would ever get what I paid for it, anyway. I don't plan on trashing this guitar, I just want it to open up a little more.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Is your Toronado a 'bucker or a soapbar (Black Dove P90 type)? Fender has a mixed rep when it comes to humbuckers, inspiring some to try what you are suggesting. So, yeah, it is done, though usually with Duncans or other aftermarket pups.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, I know a guitarist that has Gibson les paul pickups on a fender strat. It sounds great, he also has a bunch of wiring mods push/pull controls. I played on it for about half hour, thats all my fingers could take he has the action to high for me. He says he has to really feel the notes when he's playing.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The Toro has two regular size hummers. Like I said, they are the same size as the Gibby's in my V. Yes, the Fender hummers seem totally weak. I just don't know other pickups as well as the Gibson 496R and 500T. The necks on both guitars are so similar, the weight on the Fender is several pounds more than the Gibson. If the Gibson Pickups would go in the Fender, it would be great. The sound difference then would be the woods of the guitars. Poplar for the Toro and Mahogany for the V. I am also thinking - How can I get the Toro to weigh less?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@chalmodo)

dont devalue the wealth of a high action.

sometimes i find it refreshing to play in a totally different way, you get something different out of playing than you would that same guitar you've had for years.

keep screwing til you reach the heavens... the action that is! :D

Chalmodo

all you need is to be human to be able to rock.
just dont be sad if some of us are more human than others.

ReplyQuote