Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone installed a jld bridge dr.

21 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Hey guys , Greg e-mail me your address I will send one out to you for your evaluation . Gnease , Its not not much of a strong arm method of repair . Not when you compair it to the strings strength . And it really does not take that much presure to anchore these ends into the neck and tail blocks ( the only two strong parts of the guitar ) When you see "Brace~ade" you'll say wow its so obvious and so simple . Not to mention that it is not wood and will never fatigue as such . Hot stages , airplanes , humidity changes have no effect on "Brace~ade" If you have a clue , when you see it first hand and get the whole expereance you wont ever want to play any acoustic guitar without one in it . I have been told by the pro's that "Brace~ade" made their top of the line prize position work of art guitar even better than you could even amagine . Thanks to all of you that do have a clue ,Darren

Will do -- looking for a candidate guitar to use in the eval. I will let you know when I've found one.

-=Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@braceade)

Hello Greg and every one else , "Brace~ade" can also go into a newer guitar that may not as yet have a raised sound board . Preventing the inevitable usuall self distruction . All of the while enjoying the added sound quality and feel . People forget the main purpose of "Brace~ade" after one is installed , because they are so taken by the tone and feel . Especially the real players who perform on stage pluged-in . Come down to booth # 1066-E if you happen to be at the Namm show in Jan. Seeing "Brace~ade " first hand is the only way to get the real jest and huge impact . See ya there , Darren

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

Just because I am cheap and play cheap guitars; I think $22.00 for the JLD is a heck of alot better than $100. for the Braceade.

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

I have a Garrison 6-string acoustic. Garrison is no longer in business, but they used to make acoustic guitars with a fiberglass cage (or whatever you call the skeleton of an acoustic) rather than wood. It's slightly bellying under the bridge, and the back of the bridge is coming unglued from the soundboard. I want to have the bridge re-set, but will the bellying just cause this same problem again later? Would either of these devices (JLD or Brace-ade) help my situation, or even work with the fiberglass cage in my guitar?
Thanks.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

the JLD Bridge Doctor requires the guitar have 1) a bridge plate [mounting screw goes through bridge (outside)->guitar top -> bridge plate(inside)-> JLD body] and 2) some sort of an flat surfaced endblock where the side rims meet at the center of the lower bout (location of strap button). so if your Garrison has the end block, the JLD will work as intended. can't speak for the Brace~ade. I didn't do an eval of Brace~ade, as I never found anyone with a damaged guitar who wanted to try it. interesting to note that Breedlove builds the JLD system into its guitars. does anyone make the Brace~ade "standard equipment" in its guitars?

in both case, I'm skeptical of the "tonal benefit" by claims each device's maker. guitars designs are tuned for timbre/tone in consideration of their over-all structure -- cool if the device is originally part of the design. but as a post-manufacturing add-on, I suspect the timbral effects cannot be consistent across guitars, and the goodness of tonal improvement is going to be very subjective. it's interesting that one of the claims usually is "more sustain." hardly surprising, as adding mass to the bridge structure can often increase sustain. but at what cost? something else in the dynamic response must be changing -- attack? volume? , and that may not be so good. and I don't believe longer sustain is necessarily a desirable trait for an acoustic instrument. certainly the JLD I installed in my Guild 12-string did not improve the tone. but it also did not change it much. and in exchange for greater structural integrity, I was definitely okay with that.

one more note: the JLD is a very low mass attachment to the bridge. Brace~ade appears to be significantly more massy. draw your own conclusions.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@d-drew)

Hello , Regarding the JLD and Brace~ade . Well first let us look at the real problem that exsists on acoustic guitars . The strings tension causes the sound board to be pulled upwards . The only cause of this is that the WOOD bracing is fatigueing . Key word there is WOOD . What is the JLD made out of ? Right WOOD , now is that super wood the will not suffer from fatigue ? How does that one even work if you look at it in any way it can not pull the sound board back down or prevent it from raising up . Now on the other hand Brace~ade will never fail to funtion under all situations because it is made from strong lightweight aluminum . Brace~ade also anchors itself to the neck and tail blocks so when the two bolts on the top outside of the bridge are tightened it will pull the sound board down . And now for the first time you can adjust your action with those same two screws with the strings on and in tune in seconds . Does the JLD do that ? Will the JLD fatigue ? And for the sound , Brace~ade will add 2 to 3 db. to the volume , Brace~ade will enhance the guitars own tone bringing out what sound frequances that were missing . Brace~ade also adds more feel , the strings vibration is transfered throughout the entire instrument so you fell every note that yu hit . That is what the pros like the most . How do I know all of this ? I was there at Tom Size's studio when Brace~ade was tested . Who is Tom Size ? Well he has recorded and enginnerd many platinum records such as Sammy Hager , Areosmith , Journey , Mr. Big , Eddie Money , just to name a few . Also I did install a JLD , over and over . You know I personaly found zero improvement to my guitar . So I made my own , with the common sence approch . Brace~ade does not have inadicquaces and no flaws . It makes sence it's obvious . Now the cost issue , you get what you pay for . And who am I ? Darren Drew the inventor of Brace~ade . Thanks for your time , Brace~ade helping the enviornment one guitar at a time

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2