Heavier Gauge

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Long
(@long)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just got some 12 gauge strings for my guitar (stratocaster) since I've been playing bottleneck on some plinky .009s for about a year. When I started tuning the guitar to open D, the bridge started pulling out a little. Does anyone here know how I should prepare my guitar so that it can handle this kind of tension. Right now the strings are currently untuned. Any help would be nice.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Ah the FFB! That would be Frustrating Floating Bridge to you. If your a patient person(be honest about this, you may end up going Pete Townshend on it if your not!) your tension problem can be fixed. Take the back off tighten the springs a half turn(remember how many turns you've done so you can go back!!!!!!) or so tune up watch the bridge if it lifts de-tune more turns on the springs ect.. get the point. I ended up blocking my Trem just wasn't worth it. Good luck!!!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's why my guitars are all hardtails.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Long
(@long)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I think that worked. I'm gonna buy some extra springs next time I change my strings. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i mde myself a bunch of wedges to stick in the cavity in the back. I took a bunch of thin strips of wood, made them at various sizes, glued them together and presto! stuck 'em in my guitars. worked like a charm

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote