Notifications
Clear all

Heavy Gauges on a Floyd Rose Tremelo

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@gangrel)
Topic starter  

Hello, I just installed a pair on Heavy Gauges on my Ibanez Rg (FR), and now every thing is out of tune and off wack. I never had this problem before. So if anyone uses thick gauges on a floyd rose ......................... Please Help

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

You need to balance the extra tension from the strings with extra tension on the spring side / back of the trem. You can do that by adding another spring, tightening the screws that pull the plate further away from the bridge, or both.

But, I highly recommend talking to someone who's actually done it before you act on that advice, this is not something you want to get wrong - and you're speaking to the guy who hates FRs so much that he removed the springs from his and chocked it up with a glued together pile of 2p coins. That'll teach it not to move when I don't want it to :twisted:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Depending on how much extra gauge you added I would take it to a shop for the adjustment, if its like, from 42-51's or something thats a LOT Of extra pull with 2 wood screws ultimatly holding it into the body, im not sure how much you could adjust it without damage... Maybe theres a better FR guy here than me to ask hehe... Id hope...

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You can safely install a few different sizes. You need to set everything up when you change string sizes. It becomes time consuming. What size did you put on? I won't put anything larger than 13 to 48 on my primary guitar. If its a secondary guitar I might then experiment with a larger size. I can get anything I want from from 9's to 42.

Joe

ReplyQuote