4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gyokushin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Right, my first noobie question :)

I've just bought a PRS Tremonti SE, which looks and feels amazing, although its totally different to my Pacifica 112. One thing ive just noticed about both of them is that the Strings arnt actually parrallel to the Fret Board, they are much higher at the bridge end. It's never bothered me on the Pacifica but the PRS feels like the strings should be lower at the bridge end.

My question is... are the strings supposed to be parrallel to the fret board? and if its just a matter of taste, what effect will lowering the bridge end of the strings closer to the fretboard have?

I also have some fret buzz on the Low E string, dont know if this is a seperate issue or if its linked to this one.

Thanks in advance.

- Ste

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Here's a great site by one of our own that explains what YOU as a guitar owner may want to know.

If not, then a pro setup would be next on the agenda for the nice PRS.

http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm

In a nutshell, the neck should have the most distance from the strings at approx the 12th fret. The strings should get progressively closer to the neck at the nut and bridge.

By lowering the bridge you do a couple of things. You will detune the guitar some, change the intonation and possibly create string buzz. Those issues can all be addressed correctly by a pro setup.

The basics of a setup can be performed by novices but if this is your first try and you have a fairly expensive guitar, you might want to let the pro's work on that one. JMHO. :D

Enjoy your new PRS. 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

Thanks for posting that link - that's a great site.

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

ReplyQuote
(@gyokushin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info Bish, and yeah, that site is realy cool. Dont think i'll be making any of those adjusments myself yet, but ill probably measure the distances to see if i do need to get a Pro setup.

Yep, im enjoying the playing the PRS and looking at it :)

ReplyQuote