Clear all

HELP, is my action getting worse?

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ive had my guitar on a guitar stand for 10 months(I dont have a case). Is it possible for the wood to slightly bend from the pressure of the stand-hook on the guitar neck? I could swear the action is higher on the guitar now! I read the care manual recently and it said not to leave the guitar for long periods of time on guitar stands, and sure enough, I noticed "stains" on the wood of the guitar precisely where the soft rubber part of the stand comes into contact with the resting guitar.
Does anyone know anything about this?
THANKS!

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

certain types of padding on guitar stands can have a reaction with guitar finishes.
i doubt that is what made your neck bow tho.
leaving a guitar in a room where the humidity, temperature changes a lot can cause the neck to bow.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

BTW, since I dont have money to buy a hardshell case, I was thinking of buying one of those stands that only supports the body of the guitar without that hook for the neck of the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i would suggest a wall hanger type if you cannot afford a case

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

so it is possible? Im almost sure Ive noticed a difference in the action, and definitely yes, my old apartment was very humid and had drastic temperature changes. If it is the case what should I do?
Im kind of worried now.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

does the neck have a truss rod?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Im so new with this stuff, I dont konw what a truss rod is

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

check out this site http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/
the truss rod is a rod inside the neck of the guitar that allows for small adjustments when the neck bows

edit-
check out the part on neck relief

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Aren't you guys soaked with rain lately? Humidity will cause the neck to bow a bit, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As for as a stand goes, I use the Hercules auto grabber stands. Built like a tank and you can't knock it out accidentally. I also put a white terry cloth towel under the arms to prevent stains from the foam.

ReplyQuote
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the help twistedlefty
I dont have my guitar nearby right now, so I cant check to see if I have a truss rod.
But I read the the site of the link you gave me, if it is the case that my guitar did bow, it appears that it can be repaired right?
I got really worried cause, even though I can barely afford it, I really invested money into the guitar and amp and Im still paying it off. Im barely learning to play it!

ReplyQuote
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thnx SinCitySid
yes, theres rain, but even worse is our tiny sutdio apartment right in the corner of the complex on the bottom floor. Its an extremely humid studio, and when it gets cold we run the heater and obvioulsy in the heat, the AC.-theres a lot of temp swing in that little box of ours.
I'll check out the Hercules stand.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Thnx SinCitySid
yes, theres rain, but even worse is our tiny sutdio apartment right in the corner of the complex on the bottom floor. Its an extremely humid studio, and when it gets cold we run the heater and obvioulsy in the heat, the AC.-theres a lot of temp swing in that little box of ours.
I'll check out the Hercules stand.

Once it drys out the neck will go back to being straight. Count on adjusting the truss rod a couple times a year as humidity changes.

Out here in Vegas I have the total opposite problem, worrying about so dry the wood cracks. I have to leave mine in a case with a humidifier all year.

ReplyQuote