Notifications
Clear all

HELP! Marshall Supervibe Resistor

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cks133)
Topic starter  

I recently picked up a Marshall Supervibe pedal of EBay sold as faulty. Looking at the main circuit board, resistor R14 had burnt out. The previous owner had removed the resistor so I don't know what it is meant to be!

Can any one help me find out the resistor value (labeled R14 on the circuit board). If you have a supervibe its easy to check. Just unscrew the 4 base plate screws and battery compartment and take a peek at the circuit board.

If any one can help I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,

CKS

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

You might want to run down to Radio Shack or Sears and pick up a cheap digital multimeter. Comes in handy for all kinds of stuff.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

With the resistor missing, it won't be much help. He just needs the colored bands off the resistor from someone who can look, or the value from a schematic. Sorry, I don't have either the pedal or the schematic.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

With the resistor missing,
Doh! My bad - I shoulda read more carefully. :oops:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@cks133)
Topic starter  

Yeah Ive got a multimeter. What I need is a magical multimeter that can see into the past and tell me what the resistor was.

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

If nobody here has one to check, I can only think of two things you could do:

1. (no risk) Find another one for a good deal on eBay. Open it up, check the resistor, put it back together, and sell it.

2. (slight risk) Try a few common resistor values, starting with 1 meg and going down. If you start high, you have a very low risk of breaking something else. You've basically got an infinitely high resistance there right now - reduce it gradually, 1M, 100K, 10K, and so on, until something starts to work.

The potential problem with #2 is that resistors almost never burn out, so I'm wondering how accurate the seller's story is. There's a chance the burnout was caused by something else in the circuit, in which case replacing it won't help. On the other hand, there's a very good chance the burnout was caused by a bad (external) power supply, so as long as you're not using a power supply from the same seller, R14 might fix it...

ReplyQuote
(@cks133)
Topic starter  

Ive tried #2 already although the previous owner said he tried bridging the resistor with some wire so hes probably knackered it already.
#1 is a good idea. Ive taken it a step further by asking sellers of other supervibes to open theirs up for me. Whether they can be bothered to do it and respond is a different matter.

Cheers for the help!

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Here is some contact info. Who knows, if you call tech support, they might just look at the schematic & tell you what value you need. But judging from the ebay sale & the fact that it was already removed & replaced w/ a piece of wire, I have a bad feeling that the pedal may be toast by now... :roll:

Does the circuit board look burnt in that area?

Good Luck!

Marshall USA
316 South Service Road
Melville, New York
11747-3201 USA
Tel: (516) 333-9100
Fax: (516) 333-9108

ReplyQuote
(@digidon)

The R14 resistor is a 47ohm, just checked my stepson's one as his, as it has just gone pop and I have found that C10 has just exploded a 100mfd which is right next to R14
Have replaced the cap but still not working will have to investigate more.

Regards

Don

ReplyQuote
(@cks133)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help! I tried replacing the resistor and tried everything else but couldnt get the stupid thing to work. In the end I gave up on fixing it, ripped it to pieces and made it into a Big muff pi clone which is now my favourite pedal in the world! Check out my build report: http://www.cs133.co.uk/content/muff.html

Cheers,

CKS

ReplyQuote