Clear all

Help with Acoustic Setup

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Gibson/Epiphone pr350s that I am now learning on. I owned it for 12 years before pulling it out a month ago. It sat in a hard case the whole time, never getting played. After much guitarnoise reading, I'm slowly realizing that the action is a bit high, and that I might be able to lower this and make my learning easier/more enjoyable. Two questions:

1) How do I lower the action. On my Epiphone, the is a small plate, just above the nut on the headstock, with Gibson stamped on it. Is there a screw or something underneath that which I can tighten/loosen to change the action? If so, which way would I turn it? Does it take an allen wrench or is there a special device?

2) I've been playing with extra-light guage strings. Should I consider going to light guage or medium guage? As I understand it, this might improve tone, and my thought is that it could effectively lower the action some too.

Thanks for all thoughts and input. Its been said a bunch already, but I'll say it again...this site is amazing, and it is really helping me learn. It is however, nothing without all of the guitarnoise addicts, musically insane, junior members, etc. that have gads and gads of knowledge and experience and are willing to share it with us beginners. THANKS!

B

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

as long as it's been sitting, i would suggest taking it to a local luthier and have him/her give it the "once over".
that way if any other little tweaks need to be seen to you can get it all sorted out at once and get it set up proper to boot. :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I will have to agree, it maybe be in your best interest to have a shop do the work and ask them if you could watch and learn how it's done. Unless you have the tools for making the adjustments. I really done think you need to adjust the truss rod. I would file a little off the saddle.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@bojack)
Trusted Member

You could try lowering the action yourself by sanding the saddle down. Place the saddle along a right edge to avoid sanding it at weird angles by mistake. Get some 100 grit sandpaper for the rough stuff and 50 grit to smooth it out. You need to sand off 2X the amount you need the strings lowered. For example, if your action is 7/64" and you want it down to 5/64" you'd want to take off 1/16" (1/32 X 2=1/16).

As for strings, I recommend "Martin silk and steels". They're smooth, easy on the fingers, and sound great.

ReplyQuote