Notifications
Clear all

help with loose knobs

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kbish13)
Topic starter  

The tone knob on my Ibanex RG350ex has become very loose and wobley, how can i sort it out?

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I don't know what kind of pots that guitar has (splined shaft, etc.), so the first question might be, do you see a little hole somewhere on the side of the knob for a set screw?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Is the knob loose on the shaft?

If so, a temporary fix can be to wrap a small bit of paper around the shaft, then push the knob back on.

Alternately, if the shaft is a "split" type (like this one) you can try to pry the slot a bit (very small bit) wider warning if you do this too much, or too often, you risk breaking off one half of the shaft. Also, take a look at the inside of the knob. Does it look like some of the plastic in the hole has been worn away, thus making the hole bigger? If that's it, replace the knob. (only a couple of $$)

If the shaft is " D " shaped (like these ones), then there should be a small flat pressure spring inside the knob to hold it in place. That spring may have fallen out, or become deformed. The best solution in that case is to replace the knob.

The only other scenario that jumps into my mind is if the knobs have a set screw holding them in place. You can tell by looking at the "grippy" part of the knob - if there is a small hole in one side of the knob, then there is a small set screw inside the hole (kinda like this one, but probably more subtly). Just tighten it with an appropriately tiny screwdriver.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Is the knob loose on the shaft?

If so, a temporary fix can be to wrap a small bit of paper around the shaft, then push the knob back on.

Alternately, if the shaft is a "split" type (like this one) you can try to pry the slot a bit (very small bit) wider warning if you do this too much, or too often, you risk breaking off one half of the shaft. Also, take a look at the inside of the knob. Does it look like some of the plastic in the hole has been worn away, thus making the hole bigger? If that's it, replace the knob. (only a couple of $$)

If the shaft is " D " shaped (like these ones), then there should be a small flat pressure spring inside the knob to hold it in place. That spring may have fallen out, or become deformed. The best solution in that case is to replace the knob.

The only other scenario that jumps into my mind is if the knobs have a set screw holding them in place. You can tell by looking at the "grippy" part of the knob - if there is a small hole in one side of the knob, then there is a small set screw inside the hole (kinda like this one, but probably more subtly). Just tighten it with an appropriately tiny screwdriver.
I've seen them look like this too Allen Head Set Screw If it is just use an Allen Wrench to adjust it

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You may need to take the knob off and tighten the nut on the potentiometer. Then put the knob back on. There could be either a allen screw or small screw holding the knob to the shaft.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

You may need to take the knob off and tighten the nut on the potentiometer. Then put the knob back on. There could be either a allen screw or small screw holding the knob to the shaft.Joe's got a good point there. If the knob is held on by a set screw, back the screw out enough to slip the knob off without damaging the screw or the pot shaft. Make sure the pot itself isn't "adrift," and see if there's one flat side to the shaft, the 'D' shape that Kent mentioned. If so, that's where the screw should be.
A set of small Allen wrenches and a set of screwdrivers (slotted and Philips) can be a handy addition to your gear bag, especially if you play out at all. Parts will wait until the worst possible moment to loosen up. (Guess how I know this. :P )

ReplyQuote