Notifications
Clear all

Help with project?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@wickedcricket)
Topic starter  

All right, I recently received a Squier strat that was all beat up and what not. Original neck, original body but I am using a different bridge of the same make, size and etc as the one that came with it. I has to scrap the original due to some missing parts and cracked screw holes. So I pulled one off another project guitar I had laying around.

Here's my issue. I has to screw in the bridge pins all the way, so the saddles themselves are at the highest point. Well, I'm still experiencing fret buzz, and now my action from 7th fret on is getting to be a bit ridiculous. I considered adjusting the truss rod but decided this wouldn't really help, I don't think. I know a bit about setting up a guitar but am by no means a professional. So any help or input on the subject would be awesome.

I'm completely stumped.

TL;DR version. My bridge saddles are adjusted to their highest point and I'm still experiencing fret buzz, as well the action is suffering because of this. Help!?

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK, so first you need to check the neck. Find a long straight edge and lay it on the frets and look to see how straight the neck is. If you have no measuring tools, you want to see at least a tiny bit of light around the 12th fret, but not a lot...just a sliver. If that's close see where the straight edge hits the bridge. If its real low, or high, the angle of the neck to body is wrong, and might need some work, or at least a shim of sorts. This is just a rough eye balling to get you into the ballpark as too where your issues lie. Once you know whats off, you can research farther as to how to fix, or if it should be sent out.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@wickedcricket)
Topic starter  

Hey. thanks for getting back to me with the advice. Well, it worked. I just needed to shim the neck a little bit. Not sure exactly how the top end of the neck heel ended up being off, but I'm going to assume I sanded it down too much when I was making the neck look worn.

Regardless, it's fixed now, action is awesome, no fret buzz whatsoever.

Thanks!

-Rich

ReplyQuote