Skip to content
Hi! Guitar conversi...

Notifications
Clear all

Hi! Guitar conversion question for anyone who can help.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@biggswede)
Topic starter  

Hi there!

I'm new here and just have a question regarding my 1986 Ibanez Roadstar. It came from the factory with a Floyd Rose trem and I haven't played it regularly in years, mostly because I don't have the patience anymore for tuning and maintaining a Floyd. I really like how the guitar plays and feels, though, so I'd like to be excited about playing it again.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to convert it to a stop tailpiece/tune-o-matic bridge-type setup or even something like a Tele bridge. It's an old workhorse, so I have no concern about the aesthetics. I don't record or gig, so if it's not a perfect setup, that's no big deal. I just want it to stay in tune. Does/Did Ibanez make a variation on the stop tailpiece/tune-o-matic bridge that would work in this situation?

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!
-biggswede

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

If it were me, I think i would leave the Floyd in and just block it so it cant move.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

There is no reason you couldn't convert it to a hard tail. Its a matter of plugging the recess for the FR. You would need to fit a block into the old cavity and fit and glue dowels into the post holes and plane or sand the blocks and dowels flush to the surface of the guitar. You would probably want to strip the body first. But its really just a matter if getting some hardwood to fit into the dimensions of the voids, getting everything glued and flush than mounting the new hardware so that the intonation is right. http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm

ReplyQuote