Clear all

High E and B Buzzing when fretted

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@david-k)
Topic starter  

Hello :)
I have a epiphone les paul standard with a problem. The high E and B strings are buzzing when fretted. past the 12th fret it is less noticeable but still there.
It's not a rattling sound, but rather a whiny sound. the high E string is worse than the B string. there is a very slight buzzing when playing it open but you can barely notice it.
It is also both noticeable unplugged and plugged in an amp.

Things I tried:
Raising/lowering the bridge, I tried raising it so much that it is not even playable anymore, and it helped a little bit but it's still there.
Putting a piece of paper in the nut slot to raise it a little.
I leveled the frets just today. that got rid of the low E buzzing. but the low E made a rattling sound, so not like the high E.
Putting a drop of nail polish on the bridge screw.
lowering the pups.
Changed the strings 3 times.

I've had this problem for a couple months now and it's only getting worse. and it's really working on my nerves right now. :)
I'm desperate and Help would be really appreciated.

(@zincberg)
Eminent Member

Ok, lets try and go through all the possibilities.
1. The strings. Although the strings CAN be a problem, when they are, they are commonly "consistent" buzzing sounds (not changing whether fretted or open, regardless of fretting position). The fact that youve changed the strings multiple times suggests this is not the issue. The way the strings are put on could be causing an issue, although I think it is unlikely.. make sure the strings are not twisted when put on...and make sure you get enough windings on the post..and that each winding heads downward towards the headstock. (important to make sure the string is creating an amount of down bearing after the nut.)

2. Down bearing. Apart from the above type of down bearing, there must also be enough downbearing on the bridge end as well. Make sure your tailpiece is not to "flat" in relation to the bridge.

3. Rattle. Biggest cause of buzz that I know on a les Paul is the saddle retaining wire. (this piece of wire that clips into the bridge, holding the screws in place). This is an easy..but mildly dangerous repair to undertake.
firstly...do NOT under any circumstances do this while the bridge is on the guitar!!!!
Take off the bridge, grab a flat head screwdriver and gently press downward on the retaining wire in between each saddle screw. You are trying to achieve an even "kink" between each one (thus tightening the wire). Start light and work your way across, then work your way back..keep doing this till that annoying little buzzmaker has stopped moving.
(after the first time you slip off the wire, you will thank me for telling you take it off your guitar)

4. Sitar buzz. That cool buzz sound a sitar makes is caused by the string vibrating over a flat piece of bone/ivory... the same can be achieved if the nut slot is not angled enough...same can be said for the saddle slot. neither of these should be a knife edge more like a slightly rounded cliff face. (the nut should be cut with the NECK side being the highest, the saddle will depend on which direction the saddle is facing, but you file upwards towards the flat side of each saddle.

5. Fret unevenness. Youve fixed this already

6. Neck bend... could be that you have your neck too straight or convexly bowed..especially if you have a slight twist in the neck..which Epiphones seem to be famous for. Try releasing that truss rd and see if it helps maybe?

Let me know if these things dont help... some pics down the neck/ showing the bridge/nut might also help.

ReplyQuote