Notifications
Clear all

High E repeatedly breaking

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@truthair)
Topic starter  

This is the third time in 2 weeks time I broke the high E on my guitar while I'm just doing a simple upstroke, which has got me thinking that it's not just a stroke (pun not intended :p) of bad luck. It always breaks at the saddle...so I'm guessing something's wrong there...

On closer examination the saddle of the high E it appears somewhat more diagonal than the other maybe that that's causing it. But all attempt to straighten it have been met with fierce resistance from said saddle...

Some close-up of the bridge/saddles:

Also, if someone can explain to me how to raise the action with this bridge setup, please do explain...

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's difficult to tell properly, but it looks almost as if the saddle is splitting and it certainly looks diiferent to the rest - I would get a new saddle.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It does look like the high e saddle is at an angle which could have something to do with the breakage. It also looks a little rough. I would first take some fine sandpaper and clean around the notch to rule out any burrs.

I am not sure how long you have been playing so it could also be technique. Meaning you are just catching the string a little too hard on the way back up. And it could be a combination of all of these so rule out the burr and see what happens.

As far as adjusting the action, go to my web site linked below and then to the setup page and it will walk you through adjusting it.

And if I haven't already welcomed you to GN then welcome.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

I don't know how common a problem that is, but two guys in my old band had exactly the same problem. Quite often it seems like the saddles are really badly finnished off, and have got nasty jagged edges on them. Easily fixed with either a new saddle, or a bit of sandpaper (might mess up the intonation). Might want to think about changing the other saddles whilst you do that, they might be a bit rough too.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@noel-iu)
Estimable Member

It happened a lot to me... and ... I was using a tough pick, and stricking way too hard.
I changed to thin picks and revised my tecnique a bit and it disapeared
So... may be the sadle... or as Nils said may be de tecnique... or just a combination
Good luck dealing with it!

http://www.freewebs.com/noel-iu

http://noel-iu.dmusic.com/

ReplyQuote