Clear all

High pitched sound when picking

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cristian12)
Topic starter  

Hi! I'm new here, this is my first post :D
I have a very frustrating problem with my guitar: when I play, I can hear a very high pitched sound(especially on the high e string). It sounds to me like the strings are trying to make a harmonic. But I checked and nothing touches the strings, I tried raising the action, changed the strings, tried different picks, and the sound is still there. Also, I don't even have to pick the string, just slightly touching it with the pick makes the noise.
Can somebody please help me? What's wrong with my guitar?

(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Hi Cristian12

Are you able to record it so that we can hear the noise you are talking about?

ReplyQuote
(@cristian12)
Topic starter  

Sure, here is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piyPNWdZtI4

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Im guessing its when plugged in right? WHat kinda guitar? Does it still do it when away from the amp?

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member

Sounds like pick noise to me. Try different picks?

Tone is subjective.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi! I'm new here, this is my first post :D
I have a very frustrating problem with my guitar: when I play, I can hear a very high pitched sound(especially on the high e string). It sounds to me like the strings are trying to make a harmonic. But I checked and nothing touches the strings, I tried raising the action, changed the strings, tried different picks, and the sound is still there. Also, I don't even have to pick the string, just slightly touching it with the pick makes the noise.
Can somebody please help me? What's wrong with my guitar?

I have heard every sound that can be made with a guitar. I can't make all sounds, but did that one easily enough. :shock:

Firstly, you are using a rather heavy and abrasive pick, it is actually quite fibrous, acts similar to a violin bow with rosin.

Now, take the pick, or any pick that you have and turn it sideways so that you are using the flat part. It sounds bad using the sharp edge, doesn't it? :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@cristian12)
Topic starter  

To answer all the other questions: yes it only sounds like that when plugged in, and it still does it away from the amp.
I have tried all the different picks I have, still the same thing. I just got some Dunlop Big Stubby's yesterday and so far they're fantastic, but still the same noise, even if I pick the strings with the flat part.
It's like the noise just came out of nowhere, it wasn't there before, I'm sure of that because I recorded myself playing a few times and it's not there.
This might not be relevant, but those screws that you use to lower/raise the bridge (I have a floyd rose) in the back of the guitar, I changed them with some random screws, because they were damaged,and that's all I ever did to my guitar.
I uploaded a pic (not my guitar) so you can see what screws I'm talking about :

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I also get a high-pitched whining sound, when I play -- but that's just the wife.......

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote