Notifications
Clear all

Higher strings sounds dead on some frets

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@j-dawg)
Topic starter  

For a couple of days now the high e string has been sounding just weak and muffled and weird on the third and second frets. Pretty much the same with the B string on the second fret. Now, does this mean I just need to change them, because I haven't for a while, or is it something more serious? Oh yeah, it's an acoustic guitar if that matters.

Thanks.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Change the strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Your truss rod could need some relief, but change the strings first. That may fix it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Exactly. Change the strings, then if it's not right look at the neck relief.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@j-dawg)
Topic starter  

Damn! New strings didn't help. Also, a couple of other notes have started to sound "dead". Now, how do I adjust the truss rod? By turning the thing in the soundhole? Which way? How much? How do I make sure I won't mess my guitar up? Oh god! :?

ReplyQuote
(@j-dawg)
Topic starter  

Right. I tried and all I could do was turn it a little the wrong way, I'm assuming, because now the first four frets sound crappy on all strings. The problem is it's too hard to turn back and I can't do it. I even tried with using pliers and nothing. :?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Are you sure your turning it the right way? In any case loosen your strings first adjust no more than a 1/4 turn tune back up check it then leave it alone for a day to settle in. If your not sure what your doing have a pro do it.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote