Notifications
Clear all

Highway 1 Strat problems

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@stsneon)
Topic starter  

Picked up a used Highway 1 Strat a couple of weeks ago, and after trying everything I know to get it to play right, gave up and took it to a pro today. In order to get the string buzz out, the action is way higher than I like. The setup guy, who didn't sell me the guitar but is a Fender dealer, tells me that the Highway 1 series are notorious for this problem and showed me 3 in his inventory that are new, but unsold for 3 years. I bought it from a reputable shop who will most likely take it back, but do you folks concur that this is a known problem? He tells me that the H 1's are made from substandard parts and that a Mexistrat can be made to play better.

(@steves)
Estimable Member

I have had the same problem with my Highway 1, but with work, have gotten it to a good spot. For me, the problem seemed to have been where the neck bolts on. Evidently, other Strats have an adjustment here, but the H1 does not. I needed to put a shim in, adjust the truss rod so the neck was at factory specs and now I can get the action to a spot I like it. Not quite as low as my Les Paul, but it still plays nice.

I almost gave up too, but a local shop has been helping me work it into shape. I didn't want to give up because I really like the way this guitar feels - good weight, well balanced, nice neck, etc. Anyhow, I'm glad I stuck with it.

If you really like th guitar, find someone who is willing to work harder to get it right (and suggest a shim) or tinker yourself. I learned a lot doing it myself.

Steve

ReplyQuote