Notifications
Clear all

Hollowbody electric: bad warp at neck joint

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@art93)
Topic starter  

So I picked up a late 60s Framus Atlantik 5/110t the other day and it's in rough shape. The major problem is that the body has a brutal forward warp at the neck joint, making the action impossibly high and also collapsing the top inward. It was clearly stored improperly by the previous owner and I'd really like to get it back in working order. It looks like someone installed a truss rod through the body at some point to mitigate the issue but it didn't really help much that I can see. Is there anything I can do to actually fix the warp and then reinforce the body? Or is my only real option to shim the neck pocket so that the neck sits back at the proper angle and hope it doesn't continue to warp back over time?
Any ideas or input is greatly appreciated!

(@hippychip)

No one can possibly give you an answer without some good pictures.

ReplyQuote
(@art93)
Topic starter  

Good point, here's a link to a few pictures
https://m.imgur.com/a/fR0Ej5g

ReplyQuote
(@hippychip)

I have no idea what your skill level is, but I would separate the top, glue in a wood brace the length of the body to mount the neck to, and glue the top back on. A more experienced luthier might have a better idea, but that is the only thing I can come up with to save that old girl.

ReplyQuote
(@art93)
Topic starter  

Thanks, I'm not super experienced but I think I could manage removing and re-installing the top. Putting in a brace was my idea too If I had to take the top off. I think that was the goal with the truss rod they installed but a full body length block like a Gibson has would probably be more sturdy.

My next question, would be is there any way to try to fix the warp that the top already has after I remove it? I'd be worried about splitting it. Its a laminate top not solid carved wood.

ReplyQuote
(@hippychip)

A laminated top will be less likely to crack than solid wood---a bit of steam might help.

ReplyQuote