Notifications
Clear all

Home Made Stringed Instrument - Starting This Weekend

21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

ground all of the strings, Roy. it's usually done by connecting a wire from the bridge or tailpiece (your bridge pipe) to the common grounding point for your electronics -- often the back on one of the pots. if you aren't using pots yet. connect it to the sleeve of the output jack. that won't suppress all hum, but will help.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks, gnease. got it and will do as advised next time I get to mess ith it. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Anybody remember the Beverly Hillbillies where Jethro makes the home made electric guitar? :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Anybody remember the Beverly Hillbillies where Jethro makes the home made electric guitar? :lol:Not me. Somethng else to youtube, eh?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uf9wRSqLNc

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Roy,

I believe this is actually called a Diddly Bow. I made one myself, pretty much an exact replica of the one Jack White made in It Might Get Loud. I used the nails, the beer bottle, nailed down an extra single coil pickup and went to town. I used heavy music wire from the hobby shop.

Be careful about where you put that pickup. I had a lot of trouble finding the right place because it tended to cut out when you used a slide. My problem stemmed from the use of a beer bottle...the angle of the string was too steep so I had to raise the nut-nail.

It was a fun experiment...mine fell apart in a week because my main goal was to emulate the spirit of White's...quick & dirty. One day I plan on building a good one...I'll have to wait for a new house though because I've had to surrender my man-cave/workspace/guitar room to the new baby.

Brian

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2