Clear all

Hot Rod Deluxe problem

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gleystee)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

My friend just sent me his Hot Rod Deluxe that has hardly been used at all. I pulled it out of the box, plugged in my Strat, and began to play like a madman. The sound is good and the volume is loud as hell, but one of the tubes seems to be rattling. I don't know if something was jarred during the shipping or there is a more serious problem. My first guess was that maybe one of the tubes broke during shipping, but I would think the sound would be terrible or at least very quiet, and neither is the case. If someone holds their finger against the tube to stop the vibrating/buzzing while I play, it sounds fine. I was hoping someone here has dealt with this before and there is a quick fix. Please let me know what you think. Thanks a lot.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, the tubes should have been removed from the amp before it was shipped and installed after it arrived. There are Tube Retainer Clips that can be used to secure tubes. I consider Wes as our official HRD tech. He knows the in and outs of that amp better than most. I would remove the tubes and adjust the pins for a better fit. Perhaps that will help.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If the elements inside the tube have been loosened by the jarring, that tube will always be microphonic. The solution is replacement.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote