Notifications
Clear all

How do I know what strings to buy?

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@cerbreus)
Topic starter  

I'm new at guitar and I need new strings for my hand me down guitar but I don't know what kind to get. I have an eltric guitar but I don't know what kind.

(@alangreen)

We get this one a lot round here. Ask 20 different people what strings to get and you'll get 45 different replies.

Start with something inexpensive as you're just starting out, and your guitar will probably be set up for 10 or 11 gauge strings (the thickness of the top E or thinnest string in the set) so get either of those. You can start experimenting with different brands and setups later.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@cerbreus)
Topic starter  

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Try lots!

Strings are pretty personal, and no two people like exactly the same thing, as the previous poster mentioned. Over time you'll work out what you're into.

I'd probably take your guitar to the local music store, the first time. Even though you might as well change the strings yourself, they can probably have a look and tell you what gauge you're set up for.
For now, and for a while, I'd buy a different kind each time you change strings, and see what you like.

Alternatively, buy D'Addario tens. :-) (As we said, everybody has their fave- those are mine.)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My favorite strings? Cheap strings!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

While you are experimenting, keep in mind that some stores put some brands of string on sale from time-to-time.
And some stores have a "store brand" which is usually quite affordable, despite being made by one of the big manufacturers.
I've bought from both categories and haven't had any horrible experiences.

AFAIK, you could probably count actual string manufacturers on your fingers, even though there are hundreds of brand names.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

strings!!!!!!!!!!!! huge topic.
determine which gauge you have. then determine if you like that.
most guitars off the store shelf come with 9's. ( that number determines the rest of the set, so you'll hear folks talk about 9's, 10s , 11's etc.
if you want a heavier feel move from 9 to 10. many players use 10-46.
GHS is a common brand. I use them when I break one string and need a quick replacement.
Ernie Ball makes some fine strings that are affordable. I like the Super Slinky. they have nickel; and I like that for electrics.

get two packs, at least, when you decide. that way you alweays have a back up and won't ruin a session of playing.

there are many brands. I used Fender bullets once, because I have a Fender and that's what I was told.
bad idea. expensive and I didn't care for them.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Keep a notebook...

For the next couple of years, every time you buy strings, get a different kind (in the same gauge, so you don't have setup issues). Write down what kind, how much they cost, and the date you changed them. Jot down what you think about the sound - is it too bright? muddy? whatever - just record your impressions.

3 days later, jot down your impressions again. As strings settle in the sound will change a bit.

After you've tried a dozen or so kinds you'll know what you like. Then you can stop putting down your impressions - but still keep track of when you change them. Over the years, I've found that some strings I really liked had quality issues... I found I was changing them more and more often. If I didn't have records to see that they really weren't as good as they used to be, I would have kept buying them - because I was able to tell that something was amiss at the factory, I changed brands.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I really recommend that you use heavier gauge strings...of course like everyone said it's up to your personal preference, but heavy strings have a more substantial tone and are a good workout for the hands. I use .12s on my Tele and .13s on my Open-G guitar.

definitely work up to that though...start with 10s for a while, then 11s, then up to .12s and .13s. it's worth it.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

If were getting onto string preferences:

Acoustic wise i like Extra light elixer strings (Dont know what gauge they are) because i hammer a lot of suspended chords and dont want bloody fingers all over my frets.

Electric wise i like the super slinky's. Can't beat them IMO, but i do wanna try Elixer 11's on my tele to see what they are like.

But like everyone has said, each to their own!

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I just tried a cheap set on my Epi LP that I didn't leave on for 30 minutes. I normal sing the praises of the modestly priced things I get from Guitar Fetish. I got some strings to try out the last time I ordered something, only a couple bucks or so, and I gotta say YUCK! The Xaviere brand 10's.

First off, I was going down from 11's to 10's and new there would need to be some quick measuring and adjusting to get it set perfect. I remembered doing so going from 10's to 11's, so makes sense.

It all started as I was putting them on the guitar. They kept wanting to crimp on me. Finally got them on there, tuned, and of course, heard the evidence that I was out of adjustment due to string guage decrease. I measured, adjusted, retuned and still got a good bit of string slap and some very annoying string vibration on a few. Especially the D. btw, the D string did NOT want to be brought into tune. Nothing stuck....it just would not do it for the longest time.

So, guitar in adjustment, but playing like crud. The heck with it. I took off the offending strings one by one and put another brand of 10's on it. Tuned, clipped, tuned, measured (no adjustments needed) and played away. No slapping and no vibration.

On the bright side of things, I now have the same brand, type and name of strings on two Epi LPs, but with different guages. One is 10's and one is 11's. I'll let these break in and do a test of playability on each and see how much difference I feel.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote