Skip to content
Humbucker Wiring Pr...

Notifications
Clear all

Humbucker Wiring Problem- Makin me humbuckin crazy!

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@iamthewalrus)
Topic starter  

I'm having an odd issue with a semi-hollow body setup, and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

After wiring the harness and fishing the components through the 'F' hole (that was a whole bunch of fun!) all I got was a loud 'NNNEEHHHH!" sound. Crap.

So I've taken to (after pulling the components) wiring the harness externally and am STILL running in to issues. I may have fried a pot or the switch... Here goes

Setup:
2 Wilkinson humbuckers
2 A-500K Volume Pots
2 B-500K Tone Pots
1 3-way toggle switch
1 Output jack

After fussing with a variety of wiring plans, I decided to test the components to see if I could find a point-of-failure. All tries include proper grounding- excuse me if I omit that in any of the following.

1) Pickup: ground to ground, hot to output--- works

2) Pickup- Hot to Switch (Neck or Bridge position, tested seperately), Switch common to output---works

3) Pickup- Hot to Vol Pot lug (grounded), other lug to output jack---works

4) EitherOr-

-Pickup - Switch - Volume - Output
-Pickup - Volume - Switch - Output

-do NOT work. NO signal out.

I've done these tests on each pickup individually. Once or twice, some variation of the above with both pickups.

I've tested the switch for continuity- all good.

Put an ohmmeter on the pots- gets expected reading.

I'm about to order new pots, switch and jack just to be sure. But since all components test OK, but just don't work together, I'm a bit stumped.

Any ideas?

Also- I've considered just going with a 2- Volume setup (no tone)- but can NOT find any diagrams for such. Seems that it would be simple, but since I can't get my setup to work with a traditional wiring scheme I don't want to fuss too much with that idea.

Thanks all!

(@bmfm-tech)

Hi!
It sounds to me like a grounding issue. Here is a link to something that may be helpful to you.
https://bmfmguitars.wordpress.com

Also, if you want to run separate volumes and no tones, just cut out the tone pots from the diagram on the link I sent you. I will try to get a diagram up for 2 volume and no tone later today for you on the same link as well.

ReplyQuote