Clear all

Humbucking Strat?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was looking at the 'pickup-holes' (???) routed in the body of a friends Strat that he's paying me to give a custom paint job... and I noticed that the bridge pickup... indention was fairly wide, about 2 inches tall by about 4.5 inches wide. I know of HSS strats, with the humbucker in the bridge position, but could you put one in the neck position? I realize this may be a stupid question, it was just something I was contemplating spraying a base coat.
Thank yall!
-Preacher

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've seen a bunch of HH Teles, but not a H-S-H Strat. I could see doing that. If someone liked the feel and was used tp the scale length, etc, of the Strat, but wanted a HH or HSH axe, why not create one? I've for a single coil shaped humbucker in the neck position of one of my Teles. One could go HHH on a SSS Strat without having to make bigger holes. It's all good fun.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I have a pickgaurd for a HSH strat, so, ya, you can do a HSH strat.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i've seen hsh metal guitars with sort of strat-ish bodies. my g&l legacy has a swimming pool route, which means i could put almost any combination of pickups in there if i wanted, and i'd just need a different pickguard.

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

I owned a Fender HH strat. I am not sure that they make them any more. I believe mine was from 2004. It's called a double fat strat. There were only neck and bridge pickups. Nothing in the middle.

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've seen a bunch of HH Teles, but not a H-S-H Strat. I could see doing that. If someone liked the feel and was used tp the scale length, etc, of the Strat, but wanted a HH or HSH axe, why not create one?

Ive been thinking of doing that... But I have to save my money for awhile, because ive also been saving for a neck with a maple fretboard for my strat. also a floyd rose trem bridge.... or a bigsby-type bridge. Thats also something Ive been thinking about, could you adapt a bigsby trem bridge for a strat?

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A Bigsby unit only has the vibrato mechanism, there is no bridge, so you'd have to add one of some sort. On a Strat, that would probably mean filling in the hole, left by the standard trem (really vibrato) unit.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote