Notifications
Clear all

humming and feedback

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mikieg)
Topic starter  

i have an 87 or 88 series 10 bently jackson style guitar. if anyone knows anything about these guitars, i'd love to chat with them. it has 2 double and 1 single style pickup. the guitar and neck are more than fine. the pickups are probably not as cool as modern ones, the problem is in the switch. the pots were replaced about 10 years ago when i had the whole thing rewired. it's this damn switch. and this guitar is prone to humming and feedback when not being played. even with my hand dampening the strings. what are your thoughts?

(@jmann)

the bridge is not properly grounded

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hum a few bars, and I'll give you feedback. :D

Yes, the bridge may be ungrounded, if it was a Les Paul style, there's a wire going from the control cavity through the body. Or as you say Jackson style, maybe a Floyd Rose licensed tremolo - you could check through the back to see if it's soldered?

And on a rare troubleshooter's hunch, or from experience, sometimes the leads on the middle pickup touch the body route.

On this style and on Ibanez too, very, very rarely, but it is possible, the mid pickup is in the way, gets struck, and loosens.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote