Clear all

I cant change my strings

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ibummaiden)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a Yamaha Pacifica 412, with a floating bridge. Ive changed the strings twice since I got it. The first time, because new strings dont stay in tune & I had to keep re-tuning them, the tension pulled the bridge up to about a 30 degree angle.

I asked around & found out that I needed to tighten the screws that attach the bridge to the strings, under the back-plate. I found out that these could not be made any tighter, they were already screwed in as tight as they would go.

I just left the problem & put up with the really high action. Now Ive come to change them again, & the same thing is happening, I thought I'd just turn the machine-heads a little & leave it overnight to let the neck get used to the tenson.

When I came to tune it up today, the same thing is happening. The strings need re-tuning over & over again, & its pulling the bridge up really high.......

what can I do?

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Sounds like when you first changed the strings you used a lighter gauge?

You could go back to a heavier gauge set of strings, but I'm guessing you changed for a reason and probably won't want to do that. I think you can buy stronger springs for the back - that way you could reset the plate that they attach to a neutral position, carry on using your current gauge strings and start again with the adjustment of the plate...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ibummaiden)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

nah. I used .10s which is the same guage the guitar came with.

where can I buy these springs?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Im not familiar with your guitar.
when you say floating bridge does that mean you have a whammy bar?

springs. sometimes thy can fall off when restringing. are the springs attached?

where to find springs.
Id call a guitar store and ask. perhaps they can doirect you to the Yamaha rep in your area.
freaky.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ibummaiden)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

yeah it has a whammy bar. Floating juts means its a whammy bar-type bridge that isnt a locking floyd-rose type.

the springs are still attached

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Have you tried different brand of strings. Sure it didn't have 9's on them. Those screws holding the spring claw should not be all the way in. They should only be say 1/2 to 3/4 screwed in. The springs maybe weak and need to be replaced.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

are you sure you're not tuned an octave too high????

i'd go to a music store and buy new springs. can't hurt, and they're cheap. you might wanna also move from 3 springs to 5 springs. i do that on all my trem equipped guitars.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@ibummaiden)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Im positive Im not out by an octave. But i think Im gonna take your advice on the extra springs.

1 question. If I get 5 springs, will the bridge still be low if I cahnge the stirngs in future (i.e will the changes brought by more springs be permanent)?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would only put 4 on at the most. Its going to create a problem if the springs aren't stretched enough to allow for easy movement, which will add stress. another thought would be when you pull up, the springs are already in a relaxed state. They may come off the spring claw or the bridge.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

i'd have that looked at if the guitar is new and you're sure it had 10s on when you got it. i only use locking trems, but i use tens and three springs. one of my friends had that happen with his floating bridge and he had to do some repairs so i'm not sure just adding a spring or two will solve the problem. good luck

ReplyQuote