Skip to content
I plan to put on so...

Notifications
Clear all

I plan to put on some heavier strings...

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Trag
(@trag)
Topic starter  

My goal is to put on some medium strings eventually as opposed to the custom gauge (read: really light) strings that I have on at the moment. My question is, are these going to be a lot more difficult to press down?

Thanks

(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

it all depends on your hand a finger strength. going from say a .009 to a .011 is actually a big jump and it will be a noticeable one. i just went from .011's to .012's on my acoustic and i definatly noticed it. and generally when making a big jump in string gauges might also need to have a set up performed

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Sure, but you'll get over it.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Any change in string gage up or down will have some impact on the setup. It may be minimal but needs to be checked.

For one - make sure there is no string buzz (not likely if you go up).

2nd - check the intonation by comparing each open string to the same string fretted at the 12th. They should be equal and is best done with an electronic tuner.

3rd - Going up in size will more than likely also increase action (string height). Check this by measuring the distance between the strings and the 12th fret wire without fretting the strings.

If any of these change and are a problem for you, you will need to go through a setup which typically costs about $50 unless you want to attempt it yourself. To get a feel for what that involves read the page on "basic setup" on my link below.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Trag
(@trag)
Topic starter  

Thanks. I'm going to buy a set of mediums tomorrow and replace my custom gauge (about light) strings with it. How much of a truss rod adjustment will I need, and what am I trying to set it to? If I set it bowed out a little too far, will that damage anything?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The exact amount of adjustment will vary according to the stiffness of your neck. The only problem with being off is that your guitar won't play its best.

ReplyQuote
 Trag
(@trag)
Topic starter  

How can I tell that the truss rod is correctly adjusted?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

http://www.frets.com

If the truss rod is off, your intonation will be way out of whack. You have to push the strings further, so they stretch, which changes the length, which means you are dividing the string at a slightly different point than you expect.

ReplyQuote
 Trag
(@trag)
Topic starter  

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
 Trag
(@trag)
Topic starter  

I just want to say that I put on those strings without a major hitch, and they sound great (I used Elixer brand Nanoweb strings)! I don't think the truss rod needs to be adjusted, and I haven't noticed any significant difficulty in pressing the strings down. The intonation seemed fine right off the bat as well.

ReplyQuote
 joak
(@joak)
Eminent Member

what is the difference in sound is it deeper or louder if its deeper I might try heavier strings.?

ReplyQuote
(@mr-d)
Eminent Member

definitely deeper. i personally use 12s on my electrics and love the feel and the sound.

I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV

ReplyQuote
 joak
(@joak)
Eminent Member

fitted martin medium gauge.they are not for me..Im happywith the sound when playing single notes but strumming with a plectrum it sounds harsh and metalic.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

has anyone had experience with using 12s on an electric with a floyd tuned down a full step? I'm looking for a very heavy sound, but im not sure how bad the floyd will go out of whack.. having 10s on it down a half step...

and i use 12s on my accoustic tuned down a half step... sounds beautiful

ReplyQuote
 joak
(@joak)
Eminent Member

what do you mean by half a step? please excuse my lack of knowledge.

ReplyQuote