Clear all

I think I have a ground issue

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just got the guitar from Craigslist on a super deal so I expected to have to do some refurbishing to it... There is a fairly noisey buzzing/humming coming from the amp that goes away (almost entirely) when I touch all 6 strings and diminishes if I touch any other metal piece (knobs, bridge, etc) but doesn't go away completely. The saddle has been adjusted (NOT by me) up about a 1/4" on one side and not at all on the other so my first guess would be that the bridge ground got knocked loose? The soldering on the pots is also pretty poor so the trouble might be coming from there as well? <-- totally phrased like a question :roll:
The other threads that came up when I searched seem to confirm that there is indeed a ground issue, what is the best way to sus out the offending connection?
Thanks!
PS-sorry, no pics at the moment, I'm stuck at work...
PPS- it's a Dean Evo XM if it matters to anyone :mrgreen:

All the world's a stage, but the play is poorly cast

(@gozilla2)

It sounds like there is a ground wire off or with a really poor solder job.

Try doing a go no go test with a multimeter. Clip one test probe to the 1/4 inch output jack, put the meter on ohms and touch all the other metal stuff, pickups, switches etc. The one that has high ohms or is open is your culprit. Run a new ground strap or fix the solder, whichever it is.

Hope this helps.

http://www.schematicfinder.com

ReplyQuote
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Turns out (I think) that the issue was from a stripped piece of wire rubbing against the body of the guitar. Piece of shrink wrap and the guitar sounds a million times better! I tried the go/no go test and everything came back with no or very low resistance so I got to cleaning everything in there up, viola!

All the world's a stage, but the play is poorly cast

ReplyQuote