Notifications
Clear all

Ibanez Help!

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@hankscorpio10)
Topic starter  

ok right i have a ibanez RG370 and i decided to change the strings but i took them all of at once which i now realise is kinda bad. so now the guitar will not tune up and the trem is really really high up. i have been told it might be to do with the springs in the back but have no idea what to do so can anyone help me

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

no worry. just put the new strings on. all of them , leaving them slack.
then one by one bring them to near pitch.
then full pitch.
you do have a tuner.?

as you found out when all the strings come off the trem tilts way up. that's because of the tension springs in back.

slowly retune. the strings will strewtch so you have to retune again. repaet the process and you will be back to normal again.

I dont think there are any fancy acrobatics to get things back the way they were..

you may be tempted to change the strings one by one next time. I dont.
best of luck.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hankscorpio10)
Topic starter  

yeah thatnks for the quick reply but i tryed that already but it wont go in to tune and even if it is the trem is slanted way to much forward, like a 45 degree angle type thing

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that's bizarre.
ok. try this.
depress the trem bar and while depressed (just a bit or to normal as you remember) then tighten up the strings to proper pitch.

I cant imagine that one would have to remove the springs on the trem to relieve the tension so the strings can reach pitch. thast would be not too user friendly.

any one else.

hey, I gotta go. I hope you can get this set right.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hankscorpio10)
Topic starter  

well i well it wont go in to tune at all so i dont know whats up

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Sounds as if an internal spring or two came unhooked when you released all the string tension. Remove the back plate from the guitar and reattached any loose springs between the spring claw (anchor point) and the inside bridge assembly. Good luck.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@shortbus_bully)

did you gauge up the strings? I have the same guitar and the first time i replaced my strings i put .10s on instead of .09s and that happened to me.

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Ok. First of all is it an ibanez fender style trem, or is it a floyd rose? Because that would make a huge difference. Heres a guide to Floyd Rose setup if thats the case... http://members.aol.com/TBoling125/FR_setup.html
http://www.blues4kids.com/special_promotions/jackson%20page/jackson_floyd_howto.htm
Have fun hehehehehehe

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@colmillo)

I have done exactly the same thing on my ibanez RG the tremalo tilts forward about 45 degrees and gets worse as you tighten the strings. I can get the guitar in tune fine but i lose the use of the whammy. The 3 springs at the back are all in place. Would adjusting the two allen key heads either side make any difference this is really fidgety and annoying :(. I was an idiot to take all the strings off at once. lol :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I doubt you'll be looking at this, but to fix the similar problem I had on my Ibanez Aseries, I just went out and bought two new tremelo springs and hooked them on the two extra trem anchors, worked like a charm, though my tremelo arm takes a little more muscle these days :)

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

here's the only things that I can think of.

First are the strings you put on the same guage as the ones you took off? if not then that would change the tension.

second how are you tuning it and what do you mean by it won't get in tune at all? could it be that your tuner took a dive off the deep end and is acting up. sometimes they do that when the batteries get low.

third does your guitar have a tremsetter or similar device? these are used to return the trem to a single point, and maybe it got forced out of it's normal alignment while your strings were off.

to get your strings to lay down properly you will most likely have to do one of two things, either reduce string tension or increase the spring tension. to increase the spring tension you will need to first take the cover off of the trem cavity on the back of the guitar, and then on the claw shaped peice of metal that the springs attatch to there should be two screws, if you tighten these it will move the claw back which increases the length between them and the trem adding tension. it might be a good idea to loosen your strings abit before doing this as it will increase the total tension on them perhaps causing them to snap, and since you just restrung it that would majorly bite.

anyway hope this helps cuz if these aren't the problem then I have know clue as to what it actually is. :)

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Here's a link to the RG370 User's Manual
http://www.americanmusical.com/manuals/ibanez/ibanezgtrbass_manual.pdf
You have to scroll past the bass, to get to the guitar info.
I suspect that a spring has become detached.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I loosen the strings, remove the cover off the back for the guitar. Check to see if the springs are connected correctly to the tremolo and the claw. If they look like their in place. Perhaps one has come loose. On My tremolo's there is only three springs. If you changed size of you'll need to adjust the claw to bring the tremolo back to it's center ot floading position.

You'll need to retune a number of times to get very thing back where it belongs.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member

One trick I do BEFORE I remove the strings is to place something like a long screwdriver underneath the bridge so it will not float. Remove the strings, put on your new strings(same gauge). If they are a different gauge, get ready to adjust the springs in back. Once the strings are in place (with some slack in them) remove the screwdriver or whatever you have there so the bridge will float again, and tune it up to tone. This will save you all kinds of time in restringing your guitar. You will probably have to go through each string about 4 or 5 times to retune. since when you tighten a string say 6th string, it will slacken the other strings and so on.

ReplyQuote