Notifications
Clear all

Ibanez pickup problem

24 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think your pickup has coil splitting capabilities and the red and white wire are simply the pickup being wired for the in series humbucking mode.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@phildy6)
Topic starter  

Why does the hum get louder if I squeeze the red and white hard?

Phil

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Why does the hum get louder if I squeeze the red and white hard?

Phil

Because it's making better contact with your skin the harder you squeeze.

Your body acts as a giant antenna for all manner of electrical interference from the air.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@phildy6)
Topic starter  

So why does it disappear when I touch the jack or the pot? Is there anything I can just try like swapping some wires or soldering a wire from one place to another?

Phil

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

So why does it disappear when I touch the jack or the pot? Is there anything I can just try like swapping some wires or soldering a wire from one place to another?

Phil

Then, you are grounding it.

The wiring looks pretty bad, and the volume pot could be fried, since the element is burnt, but you could hook it up like a DiMarzio. I can't even see where the black for the pickup goes, and the green doesn't look right, but I would have to see the correct diagram, and I can't do it now. Anyway DiMarzio: RED (hot) to power, GREEN (cool to negative) BLACK & WHITE (opposites attract) together! That might fix it, it is the simplest thing worth a try. Normally, a fix is not that easy though. :?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@phildy6)
Topic starter  

I'm a total numpty with wiring but I don't think the pot is fried because the neck pickup is virtually silent.

The guitar was virtually silent with the old pickups on which were Ibanez standards.

Phil

ReplyQuote
(@gladis24)

My brother just bought a used Ibanez hollowbody. He got it real cheap because the neck pickup does not work. When i was checking it out I noticed that if I touched the neck pickup with one hand while i played it would work but with a lot of hum. Tell me if I'm wrong but that makes me think that the problem is that the pickup is not properly grounded. I've done some wiring before (I built and wired a warmoth strat) but I've never worked on a hollowbody or humbucker pickups before. I took out the pickup expecting to see a loose grounding wire but instead I only saw one wire that went directly to the 3-way pickup selection switch. So my quiestion is where should I connect a grounding wire from/to or am I completely wrong and there's some other problem altogether?
But i recently decided to give my Ibanez rg3120 a pickup swap to a duncan jb/jazz combo and found that my ibanez wasnt really built to take duncans.

The pickups didnt fit into the direct mounted body cavity and i had to cut some of the edges off the pickup to get it to fit in the slot.

Next, the pole piece screws on the bottom of the duncan extend so much that i couldn't adjust the height of the pickup much, leaving both my neck and bridge pickup to be of the same height and the neck output is way too high. Anyone knows a way out of this problem?

ReplyQuote
(@phildy6)
Topic starter  

You'd be better off posting this in your own topic. More people will view it.

Phil

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

You'd be better off posting this in your own topic. More people will view it.

Phil
Absolutely.
And with pictures, if you can.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2