Clear all

Installing A Floyd Rose

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crandles)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was looking into installing a floyd rose tremolo on my ibanez sa220fm, which currently has a tremolo system in place. I wanted to know if it would easy enough i could do myslef, or if i should go to a professional to get it done. It seems the hardest part would be installing the locking nut since i already have claw and mounting pegs already on it.

(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Hey cranddles! U asked a good question. If i were u , i wouldnt try to do it myself. If anything goes wrong during the cutting out the wood part, u aint gonna be able to get it back. If u give it to a master to do, if hell screw up, u can blame him! :D :D

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm no Fload Rose expert, but all the guitars that I've seen with them have the body reamed out to take the rear part of the fine tuning mechanism.
You'd have to have this also done - which means any return to a normal unit is pretty much out.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

My opinion is that installing a floyd rose on a guitar that wasn't originally built for one is a less than ideal path. It looks like your guitar already has a floating bridge on it anyways, so it doesn't seem like you'll be getting any more functionality out of your guitar.

If you're obsessed with the floyd rose look or something, I'd recommend just buying a new guitar with a floyd on it, it would be easier and probably cheaper, as a full floyd system costs about $200. You also get to skip potentially ruining your guitar.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@crandles)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks
i was just looking for someway to have it stay intune better after excessie whammy bar usage

ReplyQuote
(@fprintf)

Perhaps try looking into a locking nut only without changing the tremolo. Personally I *hate* my Floyd Rose whenever I have to tune... otherwise it is a beautiful thing to do a deep dive on the whammy bar and have it resurface fully in tune.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I've noticed since I changed my string trees to rollers and upgraded to GraphTech saddles my Strat clone is in less need of tuning after hard whammys. Find them here Saddles
And here Rollers

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote