Clear all

Installing a humbucker in a strat

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rage_nirvana_nin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

check the beginner's q&a for a topic called "Pickups plz help" thats some backround info anyways I have a humbucker and want to install it myself what do I need and how can I do it.

We have to ask ourselves. What would Ultralord do?

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Does this Guitar already have a humbucking pickup in it?

If your thinking about installing one where the single coil is now, it's going to take some work. Before I cut the pick guard to accept it, I would probably buy a different one that is already made for a humbucking. The body will also have to be routed out. Then you'll have to spend sometime with schematics on how you want to wire everything in.

just a couple thoughts

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@rage_nirvana_nin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ok i have a red wire a white wire and a kind metal color wire where does everything go??

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What company makes the pickup? Is it a single or coil or humbucking?

Will something like this help. I didn't find any with the colors you stated. Pickup Wiring

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@rage_nirvana_nin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ibanez makes it its a humbucking one ( thaks for the pic man thats alot of help )

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

First thing you need to do is to take the pickguard off and see what's under there.
If the guitar is reamed out to take a humbucker, it is much easier than if not. If it is only reamed out for a single coil, you will have to get a tech to enlarge the space.
You will also need to buy a new pickguard, set up for the sc/humbucker configuration that you are aiming for.
You will need to find out what each of those three wires is for. Normally a splittable humbucker has 4 wires, so it may be that one of them is a common wire that is normally separated into two. It may, also, be that you have a phase switch rather than a splittable 'bucker.

Whether you have a splittable 'bucker or a phase switch, you're going to have to get yourself some sort of switch to control it and install it into the new pickguard (not necessary if you use a push/pull switch).

That all has to be sorted before you even think about doing any work on installation.

Once all that is cleared up and sorted, you can transfer the pups and controls from the old pickguard to the new. I would put everything into place, except the sc pup that is going to be replaced by the 'bucker. Put the 'bucker into place and disconnect the old pup. Connect up the 'bucker to volume, tone and split/phase switch. That should be everything escept installing the pickguard into the guitar.

Some of this is just reiteration of what others have said, but doesn't harm for being said again :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@cluemein)
Eminent Member

Hi: I wanted to do the same and at my local music store.They sold me a humbucker that fits into a single coil fitting. And, for 80.00 I got it and they installed in about 1 hour. It sounds so-o-o-o cool .When , I turn it on. It uses the 1st. 2 sections on my 5 switch level.

ReplyQuote
(@greatone_12)

most strats now have space for a humbucker in the bridge pickup so you may not have to worry about making more space

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

ok i have a red wire a white wire and a kind metal color wire where does everything go??

If the metal wire is a sort of mesh surrounding the other wires, I know what you're talking about.the metal wire is the ground. check out projectguitar.com to find some sort of wiring schematics.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

If you're not routed for a humbucker, you can easily either purchase a Stacked humbucker or rewire so that you can get the bridge and middle pickups together (something to do with phase, but I'm ignorant about that stuff).

Geez, I'm actually ignorant about most stuff.

Forget everything I said! :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote