Notifications
Clear all

Installing a Humbucker

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ibanez19)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, I've got a few questions about installing my new Seymour Duncan SH-12 Screamin' Demon Humbucker (bridge position). I have an Ibanez RG270DX, with a H-S-H pickup setup with 5-way switching options. My questions are not with wiring the pickup, but with the actual setting/placement of the SH-12 in the bridge position. The pickup fits just fine, but when I screw it in (using the old screws or the ones that came with it), the pickup is so high that it hits the strings. I can't leave it unscrewed completely, because then if I turn my guitar upside down, the pickup falls out and hits the strings still. There are two very long springs (about 1-2") that came with the pickup, and I noticed that the old springs under my original pickup are about half an inch long. Where do I put these springs? Could they be the reason the pickup sits way too high? I haven't put them in because I don't know exactly where they go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.turningdowntoday.com

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

If I understand you correctly........

It has nothing to do with the springs. You need longer screws.

You loosen them to keep them further away from the strings. When you tighten them, you are bringing them closer to the strings.

ReplyQuote
(@ibanez19)
Topic starter  

Okay, I figured it out. I needed shorter screws to compensate for the height, or to place the springs around the screw underneath the pickup cover frame. I shorter springs and it gave tension to keep the pickups at the perfect level.

http://www.turningdowntoday.com

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

or to place the springs around the screw underneath the pickup cover frame.

Umm, just curious, where were the springs before? :wink:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote