Notifications
Clear all

installing a strap button

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@erasjkhanson)
Topic starter  

I want to install a button to hold my strap at the base of the neck, however I will have to drill a hole as one does not currently exist there. Any advice before I take a drill to one of my most prized posessions. Thank you in advance.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep.

"Measure twice, (drill) once."
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@erasjkhanson)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice. I plan on installing it tonight after work.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Great! If you go over to http://frets.com/ and look around, you'll find very good instructions for doing this job right.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Don't measure twice - measure at least thirty times!

There are two places you can put the button - on the heel of the neck, or on the body. Putting it on the body makes a guitar hang better (at least for me), but the wood of the sides is only 1/8" thick... so you MUST hit the neck block when you drill, and far enough in from the edge so it won't simply rip out.

A couple years ago I put a strap button on my Martin. Drilling the hole took me more than an hour - that's 10 seconds with the drill, and a whole lot of time making absolutely sure I wouldn't knock a few thousand off it's resale value :)

If you want to put it on the heel of the neck, the measurement is still critical - put it in the wrong spot and the guitar won't sit right with a strap. Spend plenty of time thinking about exactly where you need it, because you only want one more hole in your guitar.

If you want it somewhere other than the heel or in the neck block, you'll need bracing inside the body. Given the curves of a guitar body, that's a job for a luthier.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

When I did mine I used a countersink

to start the hole before I drilled (after using an awl to make an indentation) for two reasons the first was to remove the finish where I was putting the hole so it didn't crack and the second was to make a swale where the bit wouldn't wander. When you but the button on put a small piece of leather under it.
I did put mine on the body for fear of hitting the truss rod or bolts holding the neck on.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Good tip on a countersink. I used a tiny bit (1/64") for a pilot hole.

One other thing - in either body or neck, put a piece of masking tape over it before drilling. That can help prevent splinters. I used 3M painters tape - the blue stuff - because it doesn't have very aggressive adhesive.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Good tip on a countersink. I used a tiny bit (1/64") for a pilot hole.

One other thing - in either body or neck, put a piece of masking tape over it before drilling. That can help prevent splinters. I used 3M painters tape - the blue stuff - because it doesn't have very aggressive adhesive.

Funny I forgot about using blue tape( it was so long ago)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@erasjkhanson)
Topic starter  

I want to thank everybody for the good information. I read the web sites, used blue tape, drilled a pilot hole, and then drilled the hole. The button went in perfectly and now it is much mor comfortable than tying a string by the tuners. Thanks to everyone.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Your giving me courage. I have been wanting to do this to my acoustic / electric for years. Did you go into the body? I will have to check the links above. I may be motivated to act!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@erasjkhanson)
Topic starter  

I installed the button where the neck comes down the side of the body. My guitar is a Dean TSCE acoustic/electric with a cutout. This particular guitar has a wide flat spot where it comes down the side of the body to meet the back of the body. I looked and measured where the screws went in and then went as close as I could to the screw closest to the neck without running into it. I can e-mail some pics as soon as I get to my days off. I work 14 hour shifts and that leaves little time for anything else. Good luck! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@sunnydunes)
Eminent Member

I would like to do this as well, only my guitar has no strap buttons at all, not even at the tail-end.

Can you say anything in general on what the best place would be to put the bottom strap button? On the line i suppose, but more towards the soundboard or more towards the backboard? And would puncturing the sound chamber be a really bad thing?

I'ts just a cheap guitar, but it's my only one all the same.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

generally right in the middle.

There should be a decent sized chunk of wood in there behind the join in the sides, called the end block. As long as your screw goes into that, you should be ok.
Take a look thru the sound hole (using a flashlight and small mirror) to see what's there.

Also, stop by a store and look at the position of the strap pin on the guitars they have on display, just to get an idea.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I finally did put a button in that acoustic electric. Went into the heel of the neck just a bit south of center so it helps hold the strap. I used a tiny bit and was very careful.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2