Clear all

Installing a Strap Button

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jbehar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a Seagull M6. I love it but I want to get rid of the shoelace style of attaching a strap above the nut. I checked out the Seagull site and they give instructions on how to install a strap button on the heel of the guitar. It seems simple enough, drill a small pilot hole 1 3/8 inches above the bottom of the heel, no more than 1 inch deep and screw in the button.

Seems too simple, can anyone tell me anything I might want to watch out for before I try this? Or should I just take the guitar in to a reputable repair place and pay them to do it?

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If you feel comfortable trying, this is how you learn about things. Follow the directions and work slowly, no need to be in a hurry. Have confidence in yourself, you'll be able to do more than you think.

You can always take it in and have it done.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you're drilling on a shiny surface, it's best to stick some masking tape over where you want to drill. It will allow you to mark the position clearly and stop the tip of the drill bit wandering all over the varnished surface of your guitar.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Another option, which I use on my acoustic, is the D'Addario quick release system:

I have mine on the headstock down by the nut, not  as high up as this photo places it.

It's an elastic band with a snap-release attachment.  You thread the other side of the snap through your strap.

It doesn't elimnate the effect of the tie, but it's secure, easy to hook up and release, and it saves you from drilling into your guitar.

Just another option you might want to consider.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Planet Waves also sells the quick release system -- I'll second that solution.

BTW and kinda OT, there is a story about Pat Metheny and the strap button on one of his guitars. Seems he lost the button down at the body end and decided to improvise, using (for years!) a toothbrush, bristle end sticking out of the strap button hole to spear the strap. Maybe this contributed to his signature sound?!

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Very good idea from Greybeard. I myself work with wood. So i would suggest, put some Duck tape where you plan on drilling after that, very carefully tap a small punch hole (so the bit stays in one place, basically the tape is so you don't start chiping the delicate finish) other than that you can measure 1" up on the bit and put alittle tape there as well (that will remind you where 1" is). That's about it. Happy drilling!

P.S. Personally i don't like the look of the strings dangleing all over the place that's why i would do it. But if your not comfortable doing it have someone else do it.

ReplyQuote
(@jbehar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input.

This is why I love G N...

I think I'm going to try the quick release system for now. If I like it its a done thing, if not I can drill the hole later.

ReplyQuote
(@mcbobie)
Eminent Member

If your even remotely handy with tools it's fairly easy. If there aren't instructions make sure your not going into the truss rod, and make sure your going ito something solid not just the side wall also put a peice of leather between the button ad your guitar when you screw it down.Heres the one I installed last week:

ReplyQuote
(@larro123)
Eminent Member

I plan to put a strap button on my Takamine soon. Wish me luck! I didn't find anything on their website so I emailed customer service and got a response within 24hrs. They suggest measuring half-way between the bottom of the heel and the top of the fretboard for my particular instrument.

They also recommend putting the button on the treble side of the heel but they go on to say that it's a matter of preference. I think it looks better when centered on the heel rather than off to one side. I'll let you know how it goes! Maybe I'll show a picture of either the success or the humiliating faliure after I'm done  :)

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Hey Jbehar,

I just got an local luthier to install a strap button, took only five minutes and only cost $8.00 Canadian. I say let a pro do it, it's cheap and they know what they are doing.

Kenny

ReplyQuote
(@jbehar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

$8???

WOW..Where did you get it done?

Anywhere near Toronto by any chance?

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

His profile says Vancouver, Joe  :)

Have you asked anywhere yet?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

:)

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@jbehar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Now I know why my wife says I never stop to think about things for very long.. Because I don't.....

A brief look would have told me Vancouver

Think maybe I'll stroll over to the 12th fret (local guitar shop) and ask about this today.

Thanks Primeta

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

LOL, you're welcome  :)

now I really must get back to WORK!!!

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote