Installing Piezo pickup in Epiphone Dot

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

For some reason I've decided I really want a hollowbody electric guitar with a piezo pickup. While there are a couple of guitars available with those options (Yamaha has one, and then there's the hard-to-find Babicz Octane) I was thinking of getting something like an Epiphone Dot and making a project of it.

So...

Has anyone tried installing a piezo pickup (such as the Graphtech GHOST system) in a Dot or similar guitar? Or just replacing the bridge?

It should be possible to replace the Tune-o-matic bridge with the GHOST version and I imagine the wiring would be the really hard part. Has anyone done anything remotely like this?

Suggestions of other archtop guitars that might be easier to modify are welcome too.

(@vitafab)

Hi....i was thinking at the same thing. I have a Dot Studio and i was looking to replace my bridge with a piezo one,problem is that for a piezo input i need a preamp that has a volume pot and a 9v battery. I found those things on ebay i just have to figure out where to place it.
If i'll have news i ll post it
Cheers
Fabio

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Fabio,

Thanks for waking up my old thread!

I ended up getting a Gretsch 5120 instead of the Epiphone, but I plan to do the same thing still -both guitars have a Tune-o-matic type bridge so Graphtech's piezo bridge should work. I'll have to mount the preamp and battery inside through the pickup cavity, but it doesn't look too hard.

I'd love to hear how it works for you (or see pictures!) and I'll do the same when I get started with my project... I think it will be a great addition to either of these guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@moorish)

Hi there, I was just wondering how you got on with this project? I also have a Gretsch G5120 I'm looking to modify in the same way.

ReplyQuote