Clear all

Intonation

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Can someone please clarify exaclty how to do this. Especially what the tuner should show on the 12th fret. If i had a chromatic tuner and I fret the E string on the 12 fret should it show the same thing as when i play the open E string?? Please Help

Shibby

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It'll be an octave higher than the open string. If everything is perfect, the 12th fret harmonic will match the 12th fret fretted note.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

As Noteboat says, the standard intonation check is open or 12th fret harmonic against 12th fret note. However, if one has a good chromatic tuner it is better to check first the 3rd fret note against the 15th fret note to set intonation. This almost completely eliminates nut placement and height issues from the measurement and sets up the bridge properly against the frets. After this is complete, then do the open or 12th harmonic against the 12th fret note. If these are not tracking, then the guitar probably needs some nut work (too high or mis-positioned) to complete the intonation job.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So the tuner will read exactly the same when I play the open string, the 12th harmonic, and the 12th fret?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yes. Some, tuners will indicate the octave difference, but most, probably not. You may wish to put the tuner in manual mode (you choose the note) to do this. Or try automatic and manual modes and see which the tuner "likes" better.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@the-gypsy)

Intonation can be done using just about any guitar tuner. Here's how I was taught; connect tuner to guitar, play harmonic at 12th fret, then play fretted note at 12th fret also. Adjust the bridge saddle accordingly, until both the harmonic and fretted note match. Your tuner plays a vital role here. You can, in an emergency, set the intonation by ear alone. For greatest possible accuracy however, you need to use a tuner. The range nowadays is pretty broad, so there's one to suit most budgets. Don't know about the chromatic models; have never used one. Just bought a Fender AG-6 which I highly recommend. :P

I Ain't No Rocker!

ReplyQuote