Clear all

Jackson Locking nut..

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok I just changed my strings and The nut at the top of the neck the tremelo "locking" part with the three chrome pieces that have black bolts that screw into the neck nut if you know what i mean, one of them for some reason i guess is bigger or something then the other 2 chrome pieces because it wont fit in the nut at all unless i hammer it and when i hammer it it does no good for the locking idea anyways cuz you cant tune with the major tuners because its hammerd in so hard that even if you loosen the screw on it it doesnt matter. hmm. The other two fit in all the slots perfectly except the one. Any ideas?

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@2belated)

I'm only guessing, so don't beat me up. :D

It sounds to me that at some point in this guitars' history, a lock was lost. Someone just added one for appearance purposes. All 3 should be the same size and should fit the same. They should just rest on the strings and lock down with the screw with no force necessary. If one was added from a different make guitar, that was just a little bit bigger, it could cause a problem.

Here again, don't hit me. The lock is not turned 90 degrees, is it? Mine appear longer than wide and will only fit one way.

Hammer + guitar = bad. In my opinion.

If you just bought this guitar, I'd make 'em fix it.

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I didnt just buy it, i think it actually fit at one time, and I didnt HAMMER my guitar god id have to be on crack i lightly tapped it.

ReplyQuote
(@shift)
Estimable Member

Strange problem. I have had a few guitars that lock at the nut, like that, and never seen that. My 7 string, which of course has one larger locking nut than the others. But all my 6 strings have had locks that are equal and square.

The 1st thing, I'd check is to make sure the locks are all the same size and square. if they are, and still don't fit, I'd go, back to where you got the guitar and ask them about it. If it was a guitar I've had for some time, I'd just use a bench grinder to take a millimeter or so off the lock and make it fit.

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

Just kinda curious but does it fit in any of the other slots, or is there only the one spot where it won't fit? If it's only the one spot you might want to try one of the other locks there. if a differen't lock doeson't fit then the nut itself may be bent. or at least that is what it would point to.

I don't know if thats the actual problem but it's worth checking :)

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

as my previous post, i said that ive checked all the slots ^^^

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Have you tried fitting the string clamps different ways. I know mine can be fitted a couple different ways. If its a Floyd rose you want the triangle side of the string clamp to run parallel with the edge's of the fretboard.

Joe

ReplyQuote