Notifications
Clear all

Key Oil & Bore Oil

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@adrock)
Topic starter  

Ok, I've read the lemon oil threas for Rosewood fretboards. However, I was looking into Key Oil and Bore oil that is commonly used on wood band instruments. Do these usually also have the distillates in them? Basically I'm trying to find a good pure oil to use on my fretboard once i have it clean. I'm looking for a name whatever product and where I can get said product. Any info is appreciated.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

stay away from machine oils. if you dont want to use lemon oil you could look at some products from stewmac.
http://www.stewmac.com

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Key oil and bore oil are light clear mineral oils, very similar to "lemon oil" and baby oil. They're OK.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

What's wrong with lemon oil that says "no distillates" on the label?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, it's really not true. The mineral oil is itself a petroleum distillate. I imagine they're claiming no naphtha.

But oil that comes from lemons, if that's what you're looking at, is a stronger solvent than naphtha. Rather like turpentine. I would never let that touch one of my guitars. It's mainly used as a degreaser.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I guess that makes sense - I use it to clean, rather than lubricate. I'll use olive oil for the latter.

Cheers!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I do, too. Olive oil, that is.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I use 3-in-1 (dunno if that's a brand name you get outside the UK, it's just your average household oil for things like squeaky hinges, comes in a can with a built in spout).

It's cheap, easy to get hold of, and it works. Any other considerations are about as relevant to me as whether or not the colour of my cables match my shoelaces :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

3 in 1, Red and white can with black lettering?

If yes, then we have it too.

I'm a little hinky on using this stuff on a finger board, I've replaced tuning machines where someone got a little enthusiastic in using this stuff, the wood gets really soft and punky and it's impossible to get a screw to bite into the wood.

I use Lemon Pledge, a commercial furniture polish and I really try to buff off as much as I can after applying. It's probably the same stuff as lemon oil mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I only do this when I change my strings.

In between string changes, I use a product made by GHS called Fast Fret. It does a good job keeping everything clean.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

doesnt Lemon Pledge have silicone?
and isnt silicone bad for a finish and or wood?

I think I saw that on Antiques Roadshow

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

3 in 1, Red and white can with black lettering?

If yes, then we have it too.
Yep, that's the one.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@jim182)
Eminent Member

silicone isn't bad for the finish or the wood. What it DOES do, however, is sink into the wood and stay there. this means nothing at all to you unless one day you want to relaquer / refinish the wood. Then, regular laquers will not take properly to the wood. i think i read that it goes full of spots like swiss cheese. This is not as bad as it seems, however, as special finishes with silicone additives can be used that will still take to the wood as normal.

as for whether or not pledge has silicone, no clue.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I refinish antique furniture and Jim is correct - silicone does migrate into the wood. When you go to refinish the wood with lacquer or varnish the silicone leeches out causing the finish to "fisheye".

If you ever have this happen clean off the finish and put a coat of shellac on first (mix 50% shellac and 50% denatured alcohol) - this seals off the silicone - then finish with lacquer or varnish.

B.S. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm a little hinky on using this stuff on a finger board, I've replaced tuning machines where someone got a little enthusiastic in using this stuff, the wood gets really soft and punky and it's impossible to get a screw to bite into the wood.I've encountered this in antique guns that have had light mineral oils used overenthusiastically on the actions for many years. The wood softens up and turns to a punky mess.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Hmm, Dogbite's got me thinking, I just read the label and it doesn't say if it's got silicone.

The condition of little holes in a refinish is called "fisheyes" I've run across this in repainting cars. They make an additive for the paint called "Smoothie" that counteracts the silicone in car waxes and I have used this on guitar finishes. (solid colors) I don't know if it works with stains or fillers or a lacquer finish.

The only experience I have with stains and lacquer is on virgin wood.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote