14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
14 K Views
(@noel-iu)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello!
I've been searching on the repair&manteinance forum but nothing on this.

What kind of glue/sticky thing/whatever may I use to attach a wooden pickguard to my acoustic guitar without damaging the finish on the guitar?
I have a yamaha apx-5 with a very nice "toasted" finish, and I've bought a great hand-crafted pickguard over ebay. I want to put it down, but damaging the guitar scares me.
Thank you!

The pickguard itself is very similar to this one... but... for a right handed guitar

http://www.freewebs.com/noel-iu

http://noel-iu.dmusic.com/

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I would avoid any kind of liquid or spray adhesive as they are hard to clean up and/or remove later.

You can order pick guard adhesive sheets at StewMac or just use thin double backed tape.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Would you consider screws or do you not want to drill holes?

One suggestion if you glue. I am not sure what color your guitar is but I would lay the new pickguard where you want it and do a light tracing with either a pencil or grease pencil. That way when you spread the glue down it's only where you want it to be. The pencil marks will come of with guitar polish..

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Would you consider screws or do you not want to drill holes?

Not on an acoustic.

I would go with the link that Nils gave you for the adhesive sheets. They might sell them at a local shop.

If you do decide to use glue, don't put too much on and don't put it too close to where the edge of the pick guard will be. When you press down it will ooze out and create a mess. I would apply it to the back of the pick guard and stay at least an inch away from the edges.

Good luck,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Sorry mike...I didn't realize it was an acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd use Copydex. It's pure latex in a solution. If any does leak, around the sides, just let it dry and rub it off.
Although, like any solvent, it should be tried on a small area where nothing will show.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

White glue. It will attach nicely to the back of the wooden pickguard, not as nicely to the lacquered finish of your guitar. Then if you want to remove it later you can. Still it will be very secure.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i love this pickguard....very nice one !!

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I want to put it down, but damaging the guitar scares me.

If you don't have full confidence in your ability to do the job properly, I'd take it to a Luthier. It will cost more to get it put on properly if you make a mistake. Nice looking pick guard.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

I second the pickguard sheets. Very easy to do. Just finished one myself. Order one or two (in case you mess up), wait the week for delivery and do it right.

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@noel-iu)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all for your replies!
I will try with the sheets
I would try the white glue... but... I have a question...
Could I remove it safely later (say 6 months?) ??
Thanks!!

http://www.freewebs.com/noel-iu

http://noel-iu.dmusic.com/

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

White glue. It will attach nicely to the back of the wooden pickguard, not as nicely to the lacquered finish of your guitar. Then if you want to remove it later you can. Still it will be very secure.

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

By "White glue", do you mean PVA? (Sorry for my Englishness)

That would probably be the best, because that can me taken off without leaving any nasty sticky marks. I don't know about those pickguard sheet things, but often that sort of thing either leaves a nasty mess, or does not stick very well. I don't know though specigfically about those pickguard thingies.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Elmer's glue.

Craft glue, water soluble.

ReplyQuote