Clear all

Korg tunner issue

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@sweatsavesblood)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Anyone currently or previously use a Korg GA30 tuner (The small, grey rectangle)? My tuner is mad. I'll strum g string and it'll show '3G' and closely approach perfect tune and then randomly jump way off. Other times it's the 2B string; the needle will go haywire and it'll display tuning for '7B.' I know I need to get my ear trained to do this but for now I rely on this tuner which is increasingly frustrating. Anyone have a similar situation? Any info is appreciated,

- mdr
"And under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me" - orwell

(@ebuchednezzar)
Trusted Member

Yeah, I have the same tuner with almost the same issues. I get problems on G but I'm sure that's my guitar, but I also get the exact same 7B thing. It only happens on my neck and middle pickups though. If I move to the humbucker, the 7B goes away. So unless it starts acting up down there, I don't care because it tunes just fine on those pickups.

All in all I'd say it's just a cheap tuner.

"There's no easy ways man," he said. "You gotta learn the hard parts for yourself."

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I have the same unit - the problem occurs on mine if I accidentally have the function set to "BASS" and not "GUITAR".

Make sure "GUITAR" is displayed in the upper right corner of the readout window before tuning.

If it isn't press the top gray GUITAR/BASS button once so the display shows "GUITAR".

Check this each time you turn the unit in.

The on off button is so close to the GUITAR/BASS button that you can hit it when you turn it on.

That is the only issue I have with my unit.

Hope this helps.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

I have the same cheap tuner, and I think it's an unfortunate fact that the vibration of the string will change with time. Nick suggested striking the string right above the twelfth fret, which seems to help a little by partially silencing higher harmonics. But yeah, I think it's mostly the tuner.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@1st_act)
Estimable Member

HEy, I USED to have that problem. My GA30 works perfectly now.

I found out that my guitar was tuned exactly 1 octave to high. songs and chords sounded good (mostly) but the tuner was way confused.

Once I tuned it down, the tuner worked great.

1st...

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

I found out that my guitar was tuned exactly 1 octave to high...Once I tuned it down, the tuner worked great.

1st...

I sure hope this wasn't on an ACOUSTIC guitar!!!

On the brighter side, when putting on new strings you didn't have to go through any extra steps to STRETCH them. :lol:

Yes...I have this tuner. Works good on my 6's and 12 stringers.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I have one and i have no problems with guitar tuning. It won't tune my bass though, even on the bass setting. Now I use and Intellitouch and it's much more accurate than the Korg.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@deaf-david)
Trusted Member

I have one of the cheap Korg tuners and it does OK for regular guitars, but my resonator guitar makes it go nuts. Of course, I can hear it changing pitch by ear as the sound decays from the biscuit cone.

If it ain't true, it ain't blues.

http://www.soundclick.com/deafdavid

ReplyQuote
(@sweatsavesblood)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Appreciate all replies and suggestions. It's still acting up; mainly the '7B' display. It's always on 'guitar,' by the way. I'm not too disappointed about it. Afterall, it is a 20 dollar tuner. And also, I need to get my ear trained and not rely on a tuner. Nonetheless, appreciate the responses.

- mdr
"And under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me" - orwell

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I don't know about the Korg tuner as I have a Peterson VS-1. I know that some tuners (as with mine), it's a matter of learning how to pluck the string. For mine, the guitar should be in the bridge pickup with the volume turned up only about a third. Then, and this is the hard part to learn, lightly plucking each string with the fleshy part of the thumb or finger. It took time to finally get it down, but it works like a charm. Might be something that will help with the Korg.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote