Clear all

Les Paul hum

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dromadarius)
Topic starter  

Hello all,

My 92 Epiphone Les Paul has developed a wicked hum. It hums constantly, but when I touch any metal part of the instrument it gets much, much worse. I know I had a flaky volume pot, so I replaced it trying to kill the hum -- no change. Can anyone lead me in the right direction to fix this?

Thanks,
Drom

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

make sure all those grounds are properly (re-)soldered. pay particular attention to the bridge/tailpiece ground. if not connected, the behavior you describe is possible. the same behavior can occur if the output jack ground is marginal or the output jack hot (signal) and ground connections are interchanged.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

It's just humming because it doesn't know the words...

(sorry)

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@dromadarius)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tip. I checked the bridge ground, but haven't looked at the output jack. I did have to replace that component a few months ago, so it's possible I didn't solder it appropriately. I'll check that out. Thanks!
make sure all those grounds are properly (re-)soldered. pay particular attention to the bridge/tailpiece ground. if not connected, the behavior you describe is possible. the same behavior can occur if the output jack ground is marginal or the output jack hot (signal) and ground connections are interchanged.

ReplyQuote