Notifications
Clear all

Les Paul problem

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@matty0074)
Topic starter  

Hi guys. Matt here - I have a les Paul classic and recently restrung it not really knowing what I was doing. I changed the strings but I think I moved the bridge or the saddle nuts or something because now it plays well but at higher frets it makes a twang noise like its hitting extra Frets or something? I've tried raising and lowering the bridge but to no avail. Really stuck here - the noise sounds like a harmonic nearly but only happens when you tap or hammer the string. If you pluck it it isn't so noticeable of at all. Please help!

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Are the strings hitting the pickups ? Did you change the gauge of the strings , perhaps ? If the new strings are thinner than the old it may not be pulling the neck quite as hard as the old . Good luck .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@matty0074)
Topic starter  

Hi again. Strings aren't hitting the pickups but I DID use a lighter gauge string set than what was on it. The original strings had been on there for more than 3 years but rarely played.
Would you suggest adjusting the truss rod?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi again. Strings aren't hitting the pickups but I DID use a lighter gauge string set than what was on it. The original strings had been on there for more than 3 years but rarely played.
Would you suggest adjusting the truss rod?

Only if the neck is visibly warped

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote