Les Paul - Volume pot and?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey folks,

I have a LP Studio about 10 yrs old, with I believe the burstbucker pickups.

I'm not liking the volume control on the guitar, I would rather have a more gradual taper. The original pot doesn't offer much between on and off and it takes a smooth touch to find a good tone in between, I hope that makes sense? Looking for a good replacement, any suggestions?

I also suspect a few of my guitars have in their circuitry something that helps retain some top end when the volume is dropped, am I correct? If so can someone give me a quick explanation on how I go about including this modification (or paying someone to do it)?

Thanks a million
JJ

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

the volume pot should be audio taper, which means the attenuation will track to a decibel change/linear degree rotation characteristic, which better matches the sound pressure level response of the ear. an audio taper pot usually has "audio" or "A" printed on or stamped into the pot body somewhere near the resistance value.

a treble bleed capacitor between the wiper (center) and the hot side of each volume pot will preserve highs as volume is rolled off. typical value is 0.001 uF (=1000 pF), though more or less may be used per your pref. a link to explain it:

http://www.bothner.co.za/articles/volumepot2.shtml

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

cool--thanks for the link

JJ

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote