Notifications
Clear all

Less Paul BFG pots acting up!

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shivaya)
Topic starter  

OK so here is my current situation. I had One Les Paul Studio with a decapitated headstock (damn you mahogany neck with 17 degree angle at the headstock!), and one Les Paul BFG that had been poorly wired. I decided to take the wiring plate/pots from the Studio, and Wire it into the BFG, add some Orange Drop Caps, and go for 50's style wiring.

I have to say, I LOVVVVVVVVVE the sound of that P-90 with the new setup. The bridge pickup is a PRS Treble Eagle, which isnt too bad at all.

My issue is that two of the pots are acting up.

First of all, the volume pot for the bridge pickup only works in two specific positions one at about 5, and one at about 8. The rest just cuts everything off.
Second is the tone pot on the neck pickup. It does its job from about 1 to 8, and then past 8 it just dies (tone is rolled off completely).

What did I do? Is it possible that the pots just need to be changed, or did I maybe drop some solder where I shouldnt have, or wire something backwards?

If the answer is ''I can't tell without looking at the guitar'', I can accept that, but I figured I would try my luck in case someone here can help me out.

Thanks!
Nic

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

The tone pot might be a "No load" pot that is dumping the entire resistor out of the circuit - buy a new pot - the volume... buy a new pot too.

ReplyQuote