Clear all

little help

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I bought a new guitar a jay turser jt220cs it was cheap and I liked the looks now to the problem I use ernie ball beefy slinkys in my opinion they sound good and hold different tuneings well so I put a set on and now the neck is bowed I figured this would happen so I proceded to set it up like I have done to the rest of my guitars but it dosent seem like the truss rod is doing anything I have tightened it slowly with the strings loose but when I tune up the neck is bowed again is it posible I might have to switch string gauges for this guitar thatg would be a real bummer any help would be much apreciated

Its 109 miles to chicago

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

What tuning are you using?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I wanted to use standard but I use half step and full step down also mostly regular though

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I stock Ernie Balls at our music school - it says right on the front of the Beefy Slinky package "Optimal for detuning".

You do NOT want to use standard with this gauge. Even on a short scale length guitar like yours, the total tension on the neck in standard tuning is 141.85 pounds. I think the Jay Turser ships from the factory with .010-.046 strings... which would total 91.21 pounds. So you're cranking the tension more than 50% beyond what the guitar is originally designed to handle, and with a set neck there's very little you can do - except change the gauge, or drop the tuning.

If you drop the tuning to Eb standard, the tension will be 126.37; in D standard, 112.62. These strings, and the heavier ones (the Not Even Slinky) are really made for stuff like drop C tuning - which would come in at 108.37. You really want to stay in the 90-120 pound range.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks ill put lighter strings on it never saw that on the pack but I have missed more obvious things before

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote